Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Re: Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Buying an "EX++++" camera on eBay and discovering it's a junker is a huge turnoff for someone who already is facing a steep learning curve. Someone who is just starting out is more likely to stick with it if the camera is new and works out of the box. That's what the Intrepid is doing for us collectively (most of the time...)
    I'm one of those who is not pleased with the Intrepid 8X10 camera (previous iteration to current).
    You want to know whats a "huge turnoff"?? Buying a brand new camera - regardless of its price point - and discovering that not only does it NOT work "right out of the box" (mine had a non-functioning base/focusing rail that had to be replaced and totally unusable lens board: warped into a crescent shape), but new problems develop soon after being put into service: knobs quickly lose the ability to be tightened, and components don't lock down tightly, parts fall off (the magnets have fallen out of the rear frame, the felt has come off with it, and a piece of hardware has come out of the rear frame). Also, the focusing gear assembly in the base is now failing: the teeth are 3D-printed and they now grind and skip, like the first one that had to be replaced (I imagine this is why they quickly changed the focusing rail design in the new version, because the previous one was difficult to get right).

There are other minor nuisances but its the major flaws I regard as problematic: I doubt this camera will last long, and the truth is that I have barely used it! (I rely on my 1935 Deardorff more often) So for the money spent, I suggest an old Kodak 2D or similar instead, which actually has a chance of lasting another 50 years, with some care - even if it is a bit rough and may need some attention. To suggest that Intrepid is encouraging a new generation of large format users is a stretch, when they are shipping cameras with serious problems that are evident the second you get it out of the box. I'm sure there are plenty of buyers who are not having these problems, but I have personally spoken with several people who have also had serious quality control/manufacturing issues with the camera they received. I hope Intrepid survives this "growing pains" phase of their career and can nail down these manufacturing problems, and ship a working camera 100% of the time. It seems that goal is a ways off yet, however.

Intrepid Camera

Daniel Casper Lohenstein

Some of these problems, not all though sound like the camera was very badly handled during shipping. The only cases we have had of the rear focus glue failing is from packages that have been dropped badly by the courier. The camera being dropped would also make sense for screws being loose and falling out as a camera would never be sent out in that condition. I will look into screws for the rear focus though, the reason we use glue is that it is faster and works (in most cases). Further investigation is needed though clearly. Would it be possible to know who's camera you are actually talking about, so we can rectify the problem if we have not already.

Michael Kadillak

I think Naomi just emailed you, will be going out on Wednesday though by the looks of things!

paulbarden

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you are still having problems with the camera, I thought we had got it all sorted when we were emailing last year. The new design addresses all of the issues you mention. Please get in touch via email so we can rectify the situation. We are not in the habit of leaving anyone with a camera they can't use and would be happy to help out.

Best, Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Daniel Casper Lohenstein

Some of these problems, not all though sound like the camera was very badly handled during shipping. The only cases we have had of the rear focus glue failing is from packages that have been dropped badly by the courier. The camera being dropped would also make sense for screws being loose and falling out as a camera would never be sent out in that condition. I will look into screws for the rear focus though, the reason we use glue is that it is faster and works (in most cases). Further investigation is needed though clearly. Would it be possible to know who's camera you are actually talking about, so we can rectify the problem if we have not already.

Michael Kadillak

I think Naomi just emailed you, will be going out on Wednesday though by the looks of things!

paulbarden

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you are still having problems with the camera, I thought we had got it all sorted when we were emailing last year. The new design addresses all of the issues you mention. Please get in touch via email so we can rectify the situation. We are not in the habit of leaving anyone with a camera they can't use and would be happy to help out.

Best, Max
    Yes, thanks Max. Naomi did email me and I appreciate the communication.

Have Great Day and thanks for checking in here. We all appreciate your addition to film consumers everywhere.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

My 4x5 Intrepid MK2 focussing on my 4x5 Korona. Despite lack of perfection, the camera is good and does a great job.

20190224_160945 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

20190224_160901 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Some more on the 4x5, with most all movements and above all, its light weight:

The Intrepid 4x5 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

The Intrepid 4x5 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    [B]

Best, Max
    I will contact you, Max. Thank you.

Here is the last shot taken wide open that did not fit in my prior post: (I am enchanted with the Sheimpflug principle)

Sheimpflug by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

And here is the 8x10 MK II fully extended with the heavy Nikkor-M 450/9, very stable and strong despite its light weight.

Intrepid 8x10 + Nikkor-M 450/9 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Sounds like you had a bad experience. No need to yell at me. I did say I have no skin in the game...

I stand by my overall point though. It can take more than "some attention" to get an old camera into working condition. I bought a Wista 45VX from a reputable camera store that checked it over before selling it to me. Thank goodness I'm handy and like mechanical things because it took a lot of effort to get it back to working condition. The things I had to do would be well beyond the capabilities of lots of people -- and mine came to me in vastly better condition than a lot of the ones I see for sale on eBay. If most of the ones they ship are good, and they take good care of the people who got bad ones, they'll be fine and they will (hopefully) bring some new blood to large format.

Anyway, I hope you get some satisfaction from Intrepid.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I'm one of those who is not pleased with the Intrepid 8X10 camera (previous iteration to current).
    You want to know whats a "huge turnoff"?? Buying a brand new camera - regardless of its price point - and discovering that not only does it NOT work "right out of the box" (mine had a non-functioning base/focusing rail that had to be replaced and totally unusable lens board: warped into a crescent shape), but new problems develop soon after being put into service: knobs quickly lose the ability to be tightened, and components don't lock down tightly, parts fall off (the magnets have fallen out of the rear frame, the felt has come off with it, and a piece of hardware has come out of the rear frame). Also, the focusing gear assembly in the base is now failing: the teeth are 3D-printed and they now grind and skip, like the first one that had to be replaced (I imagine this is why they quickly changed the focusing rail design in the new version, because the previous one was difficult to get right).

There are other minor nuisances but its the major flaws I regard as problematic: I doubt this camera will last long, and the truth is that I have barely used it! (I rely on my 1935 Deardorff more often) So for the money spent, I suggest an old Kodak 2D or similar instead, which actually has a chance of lasting another 50 years, with some care - even if it is a bit rough and may need some attention. To suggest that Intrepid is encouraging a new generation of large format users is a stretch, when they are shipping cameras with serious problems that are evident the second you get it out of the box. I'm sure there are plenty of buyers who are not having these problems, but I have personally spoken with several people who have also had serious quality control/manufacturing issues with the camera they received. I hope Intrepid survives this "growing pains" phase of their career and can nail down these manufacturing problems, and ship a working camera 100% of the time. It seems that goal is a ways off yet, however.

And don't forget that there can be problems even with experienced manufacturers. A friend of mine had Arca Swiss take a very long time to fix something. The most expensive photo item I ever bought was a brand new Wisner 8x10. I never ended up getting a camera without obvious flaws....cracked wood......and the communication and delays were awful. If anyone wants to, they can still buy new cameras from Linhof, Sinar.....but the costs involved are often prohibitive. I'm very encouraged that Max seems to be doing his best to make things right.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    And don't forget that there can be problems even with experienced manufacturers. A friend of mine had Arca Swiss take a very long time to fix something. The most expensive photo item I ever bought was a brand new Wisner 8x10. I never ended up getting a camera without obvious flaws....cracked wood......and the communication and delays were awful. If anyone wants to, they can still buy new cameras from Linhof, Sinar.....but the costs involved are often prohibitive. I'm very encouraged that Max seems to be doing his best to make things right.
    You can buy new large format, 4x5 up, from Linhof, Wista, Canham, Arca and some others but not from Sinar. They only make the 6x9 cm P3!