Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A $99.95 Jobo alternative or CineSTill spends too much time in the kitchen?

Re: A $99.95 Jobo alternative or CineSTill spends too much time in the kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Jobo has a procedure to process film at lower than room temperature - Just add a few blocks of ice into the bath and set temp to 20C, if the bath is too cold it will heat to 20C. It's recommended in Jobo CPA instruction manual, but people have to read them!
    You shouldn't put free ice in the bath, it has to go in the bottles. I have done it many times but it does not work so well to go below 68F with that system. You need a constant supply of ice, depending on how many processing runs.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Nah. I do it at 20C!

Is that colder or hotter than 68F?

A photo-therm Model 14 bath is better than anything mentioned so far, and at ~$100 used is a far better value. Does circulation and tempering.

it dose say that it has a motor to circulate upto 20L of chemistry
    seems pretty good to me
    might use it in my jobo which seems pretty casual regarding maintaining temperatures ...

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    A photo-therm Model 14 bath is better than anything mentioned so far, and at ~$100 used is a far better value. Does circulation and tempering.
    Checking eBay they seem a little rare.

I'm game for a new widget.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Is that colder or hotter than 68F?
    The same.

Just a little joke.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    The same.

Just a little joke.
    Actually almost the same, but not. Maniacs need to consider the coarser metric is less accurate in the human range.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Actually almost the same, but not. Maniacs need to consider the coarser metric is less accurate in the human range.
    Crazy or not, even 1 deg F is fairly easily detected with experience with chem baths... I handle a lot of chems and spent years doing so, and after measuring temp, I got the feel for them at the range of use...

One tip is that at 68 deg or 20deg C, is solutions feel truly tepid, neither hot nor cold... Even with the plastic bottles I use, if they are truly tepid feeling, they are right for black & white...

I still use a digital thermometer for final and process checking, but it always seems to work by hand also...

Place your palm or top of hand on vessel while measuring temp to get a feel for it... (If room or you is not too hot or cold...)

YMMV...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    The ability to measure as precisely with C as with F is separate from how much they same they are.

Exactly 20 is always exactly 68. The math doesn't change.

(f − 32) °F × 5°C/9°F = (f − 32)/1.8 °C = c °C

The problem of coarseness is easily solved in my experience by decimal points on a good thermometer, just as Steve notes.

Still, I'm glad that a joke got to turn into a session of, "But actually..."

Still, don't care for C

and why are EU camera mounts threaded 3/8-16
    Tin Can