Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A $99.95 Jobo alternative or CineSTill spends too much time in the kitchen?

Red face A $99.95 Jobo alternative or CineSTill spends too much time in the kitchen?

Won't agitate for you but would you pay $100 to free up table space for tempering your chemicals?

https://cinestillfilm.com/collection...essing-at-home

"Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Re: A $99.95 Jobo alternative or CineSTill spends too much time in the kitchen?

Yes, but I didn't see the voltage/amps required.
    Tin Can

Looks like a modified Sous Vide heater...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Looks like a modified Sous Vide heater...
    It is, with a few modifications to make it more suitable for film developing. I have been tempted to try it out but I don't think it is available for sale yet.

EDIT - My mistake, I guess they are just back ordered until later in October.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

how is this modified for film use ? all it needs to do is heat and maintain temp...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    how is this modified for film use ? all it needs to do is heat and maintain temp...
    Click on the original link you can read the claimed advantages over a regular kitchen appliance.

ah thanks. wonder f people are buying these things or not ? I've used Devtec heaters before but they don't go low, which is fine for me.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Price is not bad considering some other alternatives. I have the traditional Jobo TBE-2 Tempering bath that holds 12 extra bottles for my CPP-2 processor. They were expensive then and now. Looks like the going ebay price is about $500. BTW the TBE-2 has no motor; convection only.

Of course, even for B&W, heating is the way to go. If you ask my highly biased opinion as a Jobo user since the 1980s "Cooling to 68F" has been on its way out the door since T-max developer was introduced in the early 1980s. Things go in cycles, maybe affordable solid-state cooling will be a thing in a few years and "68F" may come back in style.

For example are any young photographers today really running a continuous stream of 68F tap water while processing B&W like I did in the basement sink and in the college darkroom in all through the 1970s?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For example are any young photographers today really running a continuous stream of 68F tap water while processing B&W like I did in the basement sink and in the college darkroom in all through the 1970s?
    Jobo has a procedure to process film at lower than room temperature - Just add a few blocks of ice into the bath and set temp to 20C, if the bath is too cold it will heat to 20C. It's recommended in Jobo CPA instruction manual, but people have to read them!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Nah. I do it at 20C!