Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 scanner glass

45-57-617

Epson v700 scanner glass

Hi,

I've just dropped the glass of the BetterScan or whatever its called onto the Epson glass base and there is a scratch on the glass of the Epson. I'll need to replace the glass on the Epson scanner.

Has anyone done this before ? Do I / Can I order a replacement glass or can I just replace with something from the local glass shop ? Is it easy to pull apart and replace ??

Cheers,
    Steve

Re: Epson v700 scanner glass

$45 at ebay: Epson Perfection v700 & v750 - Lower Glass Assembly - NEW

Here Nicolas Llasera show how to do it while cleaning the device, easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJjDd7q2rA&t=644s

I know people who have bought high quality float glass locally and reported it worked fine. You need to find a glass shop who can provide glass without bubbles/scratches/waves. The less green the better. I would open up the scanner and first make sure you are able to remove the current glass before ordering anything. If that is not within your skill set, Pere provided a good alternative option.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Foamer

I need to remove the glass from my v700 and clean the backside. What do I use--Windex? Alcohol? I think one of those two might damage a coating.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I need to remove the glass from my v700 and clean the backside. What do I use--Windex? Alcohol? I think one of those two might damage a coating.

Kent in SD
    There in no coatind in the bed glass, iirc

45-57-617

Thanks for the heads up guys. I've taken the top off the scanner and have found that there is no 3mm low-iron glass imported into Australia. So I am stuck with normal iron content in the glass or buy the product in the EBay link. I've chosen to give the top to a local glass repairer who will fit a new glass. We'll see how it goes. The Epson glass is somewhat green anyway. It may not be low-iron.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Grab the opportunity to fit an anti-reflection glass. I mean true anti-reflection, vacuum coated, also called museum glass. Contact a framing shop. A bit expensive, but will basically upgrade your V700 to a V750.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    Grab the opportunity to fit an anti-reflection glass. I mean true anti-reflection, vacuum coated, also called museum glass. Contact a framing shop. A bit expensive, but will basically upgrade your V700 to a V750.
    When replacing a broken V700 glass here in Brazil I thought I could do that, but I couldn't find art glass that was thick enough and it feels most of the rigidity of the "lower glass assembly" is caused by the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    The V750 vs V700 (and V850 vs 800) difference is not in the bed glass coating, but in the coating of the internal lenses. Have you tried relpacing the scanner bed by a coated one?

45-57-617

OK.

I've learnt a few things ...

1. Don't allow showerscreen and window repairers to do the job. They tend to want to silicon everything into place.
    2. Thinners is not the best substance for getting rid of silicon. It melts the plastic. No real harm done but still.
    3. The standard glass seems OK. I think I've got bigger issues than some sort of colour shift.
    4. Use double sided tape to help keep the dust out. No not the stuff the showerscreen guy wants to sell ... that stuff is a foam tape and is too thick.

We LF people need to be resourceful. The showerscreen guy told me people usually just chuck out the scanner if it gets scratched. Oh really? A new one costs around 1300 AUS for an v850 so I guess I'll repair mine !!

Sheesh.