Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Organizing Film Holders

Re: Organizing Film Holders

I used consecutive numbers on each side of holders. A series of narrow and wide notches was cut into each flap with the holder number encoded with binary math. Thus the negative always carries the holder number. This simplifies record keeping. Adding a date to the negative gives a unique catalog number.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I used consecutive numbers on each side of holders. A series of narrow and wide notches was cut into each flap with the holder number encoded with binary math. Thus the negative always carries the holder number. This simplifies record keeping. Adding a date to the negative gives a unique catalog number.
    WOW that's awesome! Super clever - I assume you use those notches to make it easier to load/unload batches in the darkroom? I find it gets real tedious when I use multiple film stocks on a trip because I do them a group at a time.

I too use a notch system on my holders. I bought my 5x7 holders with them filed in (only thing I don’t like is that it’s numbered as A&B sides) It simplifies tracing down light leaks and I use it in conjunction with a home made exposure sheet with info like film holder/film stock/subject and exposure information, just to name a few. My 4x5 holders are also numbered 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b… no notches, but will probably change them to a sequence as well as it would be easier for me to keep track of.
    I’ve heard some say they don’t like the notches as they have to crop their negatives to get rid of them, but that’s not an issue with me.
    Anybody remember that app called Holders? It was useful.

Mikey

My holders of all sizes are numbered sequentially according to size (4x5,5x7, 8x10, 5x12, 7x17). I write the type of film in pencil on each holder as I load.
    All notes are kept in one of my Ansel Adams pocket notebooks. It's too bad these are no longer available as the make it easy to keep track of all pertinent info,even time of day, and type of light.

Quote Originally Posted by earlnash View Post
    I've numbered all my 4x5 holders with a unique number, and A and B sides (e.g. 35A, 35B). Those with different films are kept in different labelled bags. When shot, the dark slide is turned to "exposed", and put back in the same filmbag. My "app" is a pocket-sized moleskine notebook, in which I record the shot - film holder #, exposure, subject, etc. I also keep a log of any light-leaks or mechanical problems with holders, and if a particular holder shows recurrent problems I throw it out. I don't differentiate by brand or make - if it's a reliable holder, then I keep using it.
    Hello,
    I use exactly the same system and I must say it is very reliable.
    I use not more than two film type so it is easy to sort them (FP4 ones have no marks and lay dark slide left in my backpack compartment, Foma 400 ones have a pencil mark and lay right side).
    My moleskin notebook is the wider one (13x21cm) because I started inserting excell shit of paper made by me as a test for a blurb log file project but I would turn to the pocket size one when it's over.
    Every shot has a sequential numbering. When I have done with a certain number of sheets, I list the developing times of each holder/film/E.I. combo and then collect the first six with the same times and proceed with developing.
    I take note of problems with holders in the same why and put apart the ones that are not reliable.
    If I have to look for improvements, maybe numbering the holder with single number each side (so 1-2 instead of 1A-1B) is even more error-proof.
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

The first time I "notched" my film holders was in the 1970s. Easy mistake to make is to make way too big of notches. Current film holders are "micro" notched. My notches are less than 0.5mm deep. Micro-Mark has several micro file sets that make notching very easy to do.

If, by chance, you notice a "veteran" holder with a possible problem you've never noticed before – say a tiny crack, warped dark slide, quirky hinge – you might want to inspect your past shots from that holder for any subtle image issues that may have escaped your notice, and could be growing worse over time. One might consider if a labeling process allows for this to be done quickly and efficiently – from holder to multiple film sheets, instead of particular film sheet to specific holder.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've pared my 8x10 holders down to woods(Kodak/Graflex) and plastics (Lisco Regals) Slow ISOs go in one, fast ISOs go in the other, or Ortho depending on what I'm shooting. Those round stickers from the office supply section I use for numbering. Notes in a note book---I've lost too many Post-its
    I do the same, mostly to separate color from B&W.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

A thought: this might resolve a minor issue I've had for a while: how to tell an empty film holder from a full one. Usually I load and go on the day I expect to shoot, but sometimes things get left loaded but unexposed in the holder. I have been known to weigh the damn things... with mixed success.

As I get *loads* of stuff from Digikey for the day job, I've got a fair few of their antistatic ziplock bags around the place. These are the ones they use for the reeled components for pick'n'place machines. They're about eight by seven and three-quarter inches internal, plenty of room for a 4x5 holder; full ones, exposed or otherwise, in a bag; empty ones loose.

Sorted - thanks!

I'll see how they go in practice. There's always plan B - a suitably sized elastic band around loaded holders.

Neil

Micro-Notches...gotta do this!