Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Big Camera

Pretty Big Camera

Not sure if this counts, but I have made my darkroom and studio into a camera by putting a lens in the wall.

The focal plane is a 22x26" plywood board with a 12x16" ground glass insert. It is attached to a geared head atop a wheeled stand that allows focus, tilt, swing and rise by moving the stand.

This image was made using a paper negative. It is 24" x 20". Inspired by the f64 group and Weston in particular, I shot it at f90 for 8 minutes with a Schneider 480mm F/8.4 Apo-symmar L lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8821.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	182694

Zebra

Re: Pretty Big Camera

Wonderful innovation and a fantastic composition

Very nice!

The lower vegetable looks like what is called "karela" in north India but I'm not sure. I love asparagus. Nice image.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    The lower vegetable looks like what is called "karela" in north India but I'm not sure. I love asparagus. Nice image.
    That is probably what it is. I am in Thailand though and do not know what it is called here. I just went to the market and picked up things for a still life.

Thanks to all for the compliments. I will shoot some 14x17 xray film today. Beautiful thing is that it can be exposed in safe light conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by basiltahan View Post
    Not sure if this counts, but I have made my darkroom and studio into a camera by putting a lens in the wall.

The focal plane is a 22x26" plywood board with a 12x16" ground glass insert. It is attached to a geared head atop a wheeled stand that allows focus, tilt, swing and rise by moving the stand.

This image was made using a paper negative. It is 24" x 20". Inspired by the f64 group and Weston in particular, I shot it at f90 for 8 minutes with a Schneider 480mm F/8.4 Apo-symmar L lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8821.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	182694
    I see anthropomorphic monster. Maybe a vegetarian...

I have poor vision
    Tin Can

Really nice!

Now take it on the road. Figure out how to rig it all up in a utility trailer, and visite National parks. You would pull into a scenic overlook and shoot those breath-taking views.

Or take it to "Burning Man" and make porttraits of strange people.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hi basiltahan: I am interested in doing the exact same thing. You can see my original post with a some questions here https://www.largeformatphotography.i...54#post1486554
    Would you mind sharing more of your experiences working this way? One would think you ran into problems along the way when first getting going? If so, what were they? Also, do you mind elaborating on your plywood board with ground glass?
    Great image btw and very interesting approach. Any information you're willing to share will be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    Indeed it is a "karela" or bitter gourd. It is available in Japan as well and is called "goya". I used to grow them when I was living in Shodoshima. I'll probably plant them again this spring here in Nara.

Kumar

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Great shot. I think Canaletto and other painters did the same in Venice.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones