Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual LF Canon LiDe (Scanner) Camera Project Needs Basic Lens Suggestions.

Re: Unusual LF Canon LiDe (Scanner) Camera Project Needs Basic Lens Suggestions.

Few years ago I did essentially the same as you but with an Epson Perfection V39 scanner (looks very similar to the Canon). Got the same line effect when the scanner was in a vertical position. I don't remember which side was at the bottom. Redid the camera's configuration but with the scanner lying horizontally flat and the lines went away. At that point, I gave up and proceeded to my next photo project, so can't say for sure that the lines are artifacts caused by the scanner being in vertical position, but possibly the reason. Worth a try to orientate your camera with the Canon LiDe scanner lying horizontally.

Re: Unusual LF Canon LiDe (Scanner) Camera Project Needs Basic Lens Suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Results on this thread are fascinating but has anyone figured out how to remove the linear banding those LiDe Scanner modifications always seem to have. Any idea what causes it?
    I think proper 'calibration' is needed to reduce the lines.

I tweak some of the settings (mostly, black and white point) but i think the lines have more to due with the mechanical motion and any vibrations even from the scanner itself.

Re: Unusual LF Cannon LiDe (Scanner) Camera Project Needs Basic Lens Suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tzava-ro View Post
    Me again ..

Processing was some levels in photoshop.
    The UV/IR is an issue only when photographing people ( tedious work, 40 seconds exposure ) )
    Can you post a picture of what have you done to the sensor assembly ?

The sensor assembly is nearly identical on all Lide scanners ( i modified 25,25,90 and 110 ). The only issue is that you have to handle the sensor`s PCB directly, and it is EXTREMELY fragile when not attached to the black plastic piece. Even the slightest bend of the PCB will result in a broken sensor. I broke 4 out of 6 scanners i modified. Once the modding is done, it will be sturdy enough to use.

Your post gave me some new enthusiasm for this, so i ordered a Lide 110. It should arrive in 2-3 days.
    I will mod it and take pictures. Most probably over a weekend.

Feel free to PM me about this, as i tend to forget to check the forums.

You`re welcome,
    Silviu
    sounds great!

I'll post images of the CIS assembly and my methods when I get home.

Although the motion distortions are cool, it is quite hard to have a subject sit still for 40 seconds as the scanner . . . scans.

I'm sure playing with the DPI and distance of the subject could help with that. (But I bet you know that)

I think a Lide 220 scans at 8-10 seconds at 300 DPI! I'm getting mine this week.

anyway, here is picture of camera coming together.

I'm using a TOYO 6x8 rig to get a 8.7x8.7 scanning surface (without the film / ground glass back)

I'm waiting for an extension rail and then I can begin testing the bellows and how to securely attach the scanner to back of the 6x8 standard.

The lens board is just a magnifying glass on cardboard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	182983

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Results on this thread are fascinating but has anyone figured out how to remove the linear banding those LiDe Scanner modifications always seem to have. Any idea what causes it?
    The lines seem to be caused by a combination of factors :
    1. Cis scanners scan something by illuminating 4 times the same line. Red green blue and white ( all 3 ). Meaning it exposes the line 4 times. Somehow it autocalibrates between lines. This means one line is a little overexposed and the next one underexposed.
    2. The stepper motor that moves the scanhead in combination is coarse at 300-600 dpi.
    3. The scanning assembly has only 1 rail, so it can move a little.

At 2400 dpi they are not there anymore. ( tested with a 110 )

I thought of a way to rebuild the scanner with linear rollers ( like a 3d printer / cnc machine ). Costs and work are becoming bad at that point, although i might do that sometime.

Later edit : You need a better lens . The scanner can resolve as much as a well scanned negative. As i previously said : look for process lens, cheap and with an aperture. Most of them will cove much more than 8x10. I`ll pm you an ideea i have .

Silviu
    Last edited by tzava-ro; 3-Oct-2018 at 23:19. Reason: Got to a pc and corrected typos

Indeed!

Here are a few more pictures. I think they are all at 100dpi

I used a magnifying glass and some aperture cards to experiment with the razor thin DOF and just to do some test shots.

'Lens" Focal Length Test

Name:	2018-08-03-0001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	183002

Lens Depth of Field Test

Name:	2018-08-03-0003.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	183003

Self Portrait Test

Name:	Scanner Camera Test 3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	183005

Photoshoot Picture - Cropped

The picture isn't very good but the 'compressed' look of the toddler running towards the camera is very interesting!

Name:	Scanner Camera - Lens B - Long Shot - Outside House6 -cropped.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	183004

Konica HEXANON GRII 300mm f9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott_Scancam_lowres.jpg