Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bokeh again: aperture blades round or edgy?

Bokeh again: aperture blades round or edgy?

One thing that is responsible for a pleasing bokeh is a round iris when the lens is stopped down. Nevertheless I am aware that some lens designs do posses a good bokeh despite having an edgy iris like the Nikkor 35 1.4 but again there have been manufacturers (more in the past though) who have added more diaphragm blades to create this round look so it looks like this does play a big role in bokeh quality. May be this is the reason we like our lenses wide open?

I have checked my optics for this and want to share it with you:

My Apo sironar 210-S, G-Claron 150 (typical symmetrical or near symmetrical designs) SA 72XL and my Konica Hexars 35mm fixed lens all show a round iris, the Hexar has actually a very beautiful bokeh something very special among all of my optics. My 110 xl and Apo tele xenar 400 show an edgy shape.

All of my Bronica SQ lenses (80, 50 and 200) show an edgy iris though I like the 80 wide open. Nikkor 35: 35 1.4, 105 1.8, 55 2.8 micro and 28 PC are all edgy. The 35 1.4 is a very contrasty optic and is famous for having a "complex" bokeh. Again I like this lens wide open and it does have a good bokeh but not at close ups.

To check your optics point your lens set at infinity at a ball of crushed aluminum foil lit by a strong light like a table lamp. Then stop your lens down and look for the circle of confusion. For rangefinders open the back and place a small ground glass on the film plane.

Huh?

Its time for a poll. What apertures do you typically use?

35 mm, macro up to 1:1? f/16 - f/27 marked. Effective smaller.

35 mm out and about? f/5.6 to f/16, depending.

2x3 macro, up to 2:1? f/20

2x3 out and about? f/11 - f/22, depending.

Huh?

Its time for another poll.

Whose pictures often suffer from bright highlights in the out-of-focus areas that are rendered as images of the lens' diaphragm?

Not mine.

The problem as it relates to modern large format lenses is that none of them have diphragms. The diphragms are in the shutter and today the only shutters being manufactured come from Copal. Within the past few years both Compur and Prontor stopped making LF shutters although there could easily still be some in dealer stock. I haven't numbers of blades but the Compurs and Prontor Pro's both have more blades than the Copals. So, regardless of your lens it is highly likely to be mounted in a Copal shutter.

愉快模糊

That's a special version of the Copal Press #0, known as the Copal Press Smiley #0, sold only in Asian markets...

FWIW, after dabbling with shutter mounted and non-mounted lenses, the rounded openings of the non-shutter mounted lenses make images that are vastly more pleasing. Of course this is for wide aperture portraits with backlight, not your typical West Coast landscape stopped down to f/22.

It actually is part of the reason I stopped trying to do close portraits with shutter mounted large format lenses. And why I am about the throw this darn Nikkor 50/1.4 AF lens against the wall (harsh hexagonal bokeh).

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If you want lots and lots of aperture blades in a shutter, you'll have to get a classic "oldie" in a Compound #5 shutter. I think it's 23 aperture blades. Look for a Heliar 300mm f:4.5 in shutter - the "King of Bokeh"!

Frank, I tossed my 50/1.4 AF Nikkor out the window a long time ago. Stopped down or flat out, between the bokeh and the tonal gradation, it's one of the harshest lenses I've ever used.

While this is all terribly fascinating; I come away with the thought: What would Edward Weston think about all this? Oh my...

jj comes closest to my response.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”