Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on composition, learning from Ansel Adams

Re: Thoughts on composition, learning from Ansel Adams

Maris, you are most certainly not mistaken! Compelling!

And, to another post: "pre-visualize" is right up there on the list with "pre-planning."
    List of Garbage Words which affront logic.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    ...And, to another post: "pre-visualize" is right up there on the list with "pre-planning."
    May affront logic, but it communicates the concept just fine!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

[...] And, to another post: "pre-visualize" is right up there on the list with "pre-planning."
    "Pre-visualize" probably sold a lot of those over-priced Zone VI eye filters.

Maris, you are most certainly not mistaken! Compelling!

And, to another post: "pre-visualize" is right up there on the list with "pre-planning."
    Irregardless what you think, pre-visualize has a big following.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

To "pre-visualize" means to make do with what you got.

Thomas

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I tend to pre-visualize when looking at the scene, visualize what the plate will look like when looking at the ground glass, and post-visualize when looking at the finished plate. I then pre-regret making it at all while scanning the plate, regret while posting it on-line, and post-regret the whole mess as the comments come in...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

My guess is that pre-visualization in art predates photography by many thousands of years.

When Michelangello (500 years ago) was saying that in fact he had only to chip away the excess of stone, to reveal the sculpture that was inside the boulder, he was speaking about pre-visualization. He was viewing the art before it existed physically.

Any creative process may require to combine things to get a result, so the capability to predict a result from the ingredients is what it may allow to create something sound.

Yes, AA had that divine inspiration in front of the Half Dome, while manipulating a crappy Adon... well, he discovered this in that moment... I guess that any great artisit discovers that in a certain moment, I think it's a magic moment, discovering self awareness in front of a subject and wanting to do something special with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I tend to pre-visualize when looking at the scene, visualize what the plate will look like when looking at the ground glass, and post-visualize when looking at the finished plate. I then pre-regret making it at all while scanning the plate, regret while posting it on-line, and post-regret the whole mess as the comments come in...
    Mark, you are not alone

Les

.....Any creative process may require to combine things to get a result, so the capability to predict a result from the ingredients is what it may allow to create something sound....

Is that jazz ? Sure sounds like it :>). Well, v. often composition is a process of improvisation. Unless you do things in a studio or in v. controlled settings, there will be things that one has to adjust. From my film experience (mot pic) one has to determine what works, tho you could be faced with 10K possibilities. One has to have enough understanding of the vis medium to find that one angle that tells the story best (sometimes even in oblique way). Stills are somewhat different, but yet....

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Well, v. often composition is a process of improvisation. Unless you do things in a studio or in v. controlled settings,
    Les, I'd say that visualization would help both, planification and improvisation in the creative process, because the capability to visualize the effects of the different choices in the result helps always.

My feel is that in portraiture we may need a big deal of improvisation, because we may have to manage the expresion of our subject. We can remember that YK pulled Churchill's cigar to obtain a (difficult to tell) expression for those days when UK was alone and under an extreme situation. Well, YK pre-visualized what Mr Churchill's face would be if pulling the nasty cigar That portrait worked very well, britons felt hope.

I guess that for landscape visualization tends to help a more relaxed planification, we have a lot of choices in the framing, in the filtering and in the exposure, what ends in a lot of combinations. If we are able to preview the print we want from the scene we have then we have an advantage.

As for the inital question, maybe AA is not the best example for composition...

He tended the shoot "grand landscapes", where it would be hard to go wrong with just sensible composition, and followed it with good craft...

Look at work that had to solve a problem in less than ideal situations, with complex elements, and see how they were handled...

Steve K