Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When does Photo-Flo go bad?

Re: When does Photo-Flo go bad?

Am now using a glass! bottle of Photo-Flo which I bought in 1970 or 1971. Hidden behind other bottles till I did a complete clean up of the darkroom a few years ago.

Wow, Pere, the fact that you could write out that molecule leaves me quite impressed!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Wow, Pere, the fact that you could write out that molecule leaves me quite impressed!
    It's quite straight, just google msds with the name of any product

in the safety datasheet of the product you find the ingredients...

When the negative influence of darkroom workers of low character are too close for too long?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Got to thinking this afternoon about how the algae(?) growth got into the Tween 20. Could it be that it became contaminated over time from air that entered while the bottle was open when counting out drops for the sensitizer and/or not flushing out the air in the dropper when capping? The algae or whatever settles to the bottom of the bottle so if I don't shake the bottle as I normally do I could draw from the top and avoid the gunk, But at 3 years is it still good?

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I dunno. Used up my first and only bottle of Photoflo about 25 yrs ago. So it lasted about twenty years after opening. Then a bought two pint containers of equivalent Ilfotol, and just a month ago one of those ran out; so it lasted 25 years. It only takes a few drops at a time to do the job. So let's see ... on more pint left; so I should plan on buying another when I'm 97 years old.

Note that I just use a few drops right out of the original bottle at a time. I you store and reuse your Photoflo diluted in distilled water, then there is a risk of water mold
    growth (Saprolegnia), especially in more humid climates. But the spores are pretty much everywhere. Therefore, I don't recommend re-use. Besides, your old water might accumulate little bits of gelatin or whatever. A tiny amount of Thymol Listerine mouthwash will cure the water mould issue; but I have no idea if it will have any
    negative effect - perhaps staining. Dunno. I'll stick with just diluting a few drops at a time into distilled water, and then discarding it after each use.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Am now using a glass! bottle of Photo-Flo which I bought in 1970 or 1971. Hidden behind other bottles till I did a complete clean up of the darkroom a few years ago.
    a couple of years ago I finished my glass bottle, the label had smeared so you couldn't read a word of it and it took about 45 years to use up... I think used to be made by Timex

When it is bottled. Use Edwal LFN.

Quote Originally Posted by photog_ed View Post
    I have some photo-flo that I've been using for about 50 years, and it was old when I got it. It seems to work fine.
    Ditto.

It's not that Photo-Flo is unconditionally bad. it's that users don't follow the instructions and use too much of it. A little dab will do you - dab defined as a drop, two at the most. Use more only if you dare and like potentially streaked negatives.