Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seascapes

Marco Fantin

Seascapes

I did not find an image collection with this topic... strange!
    I would love to see your best shots. I love these kind of collections and I often find inspiration in them.

Here is one that I shot on a drizzly sunrise in Acadia National Park. The sun disappeared under the clouds during the 30 s exposure, which gave a softer look to the reflections on the wet boulders and on the sea.

4x5 Portra 160 - 30s f32 - 80 mm Schneider super symmar XL - slightly cropped

Here there is a video where I talk about this shot on location, if you are interested
    Last edited by marcookie; 2-Sep-2018 at 14:27.
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

John Olsen

Re: Seascapes

Nice image - very lucky (or skilled) with the sun reflection!

You'll find about 500 pages of water photos under the "What did you shoot at the waters' edge" thread. Nobody has added to it for a week, so it's slid way down in the scroll.

Nice image... It looks that portra is not only for portraits !

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    Nice image - very lucky (or skilled) with the sun reflection!

You'll find about 500 pages of water photos under the "What did you shoot at the waters' edge" thread. Nobody has added to it for a week, so it's slid way down in the scroll.
    I actually found the main thread with one billion images after a bit. My initial research was quite poor. Thank you for pointing out the thread though.

Yes that was sort of luck to be there in that moment, although I was gravitating around that area for a few days.
    The exposure was spot on though, but unfortunately the photo is very slightly blurred (crappy tripod) so it cannot be printed very big.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Nice image... It looks that portra is not only for portraits !
    In my last trip I shot more than 10 sheet of Ektar and only 2 of Portra. I ended up liking the two Portras the best.
    I would say it is much less "realistic" with landscapes, it's more like a memory than reality in some ways.
    An the dynamic range is just phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    (crappy tripod)
    Don't worry, after some salt water you'll be in the market for another tripod. The contemporary tripods with tube legs don't like corrosion or sand much at all.
    Friends on the forum have sold me used wooden tripods and they can handle the salt and sand better.

Good youtube channel you have. Much of what I photograph is medium and large format Maine shore/seascape stuff. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/
    Rarely do I take the time to make youtube videos though.

>> I ended up liking the two Portras the best. I would say it is much less "realistic" with landscapes, it's more like a memory than reality in some ways.

With color negatives it mostly comes down to how the film was exposed and the scans were inverted.
    With both the correct amount of exposure to the film and right balance between RGB channels to the scan , images taken on Portra (160 , 400, 800) look as "realistic" as on a good digital. The same goes for Ektar and Fuji 400H Pro.
    And there are unlimited possibilities to manipulate the "reality" - that's an artistic choice

SergeyT

Wonderful work. More please.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Don't worry, after some salt water you'll be in the market for another tripod. The contemporary tripods with tube legs don't like corrosion or sand much at all.
    Friends on the forum have sold me used wooden tripods and they can handle the salt and sand better.

Good youtube channel you have. Much of what I photograph is medium and large format Maine shore/seascape stuff. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/
    Rarely do I take the time to make youtube videos though.
    I will definitely check your images out, I loved Maine!

Yeah, it takes a lot of time to get the youtube videos out. I just looked at the footage from my recent trip to Cape Cod and 50% is trash... I may have a higher keeper rate on film! (Probably not.)
    But it's a good exercise especially because it makes you think/remember the "why" of some photographs.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    >> I ended up liking the two Portras the best. I would say it is much less "realistic" with landscapes, it's more like a memory than reality in some ways.

With color negatives it mostly comes down to how the film was exposed and the scans were inverted.
    With both the correct amount of exposure to the film and right balance between RGB channels to the scan , images taken on Portra (160 , 400, 800) look as "realistic" as on a good digital. The same goes for Ektar and Fuji 400H Pro.
    And there are unlimited possibilities to manipulate the "reality" - that's an artistic choice

SergeyT
    Yeah that sounds right... but for some reason I can "realistically" invert Ektar without any effort, while Portra tends to take some color casts that I end up liking. This is probably due to my scanning workflow. But maybe, as you suggest between the lines, I should not learn how to invert Portra, but instead try to take Ektar where I really want...