Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Re: V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Which model?

Thanks.

Basicly you have to decide is you want a Plustek 120 that makes also MF but costs $2700 or you have enough if it scans 35mm.

I'd recommend the cheapest, the $300 Plustek 8100, it has Multi-Exposure that's (to me) the important thing for velvia, IIRC it lacks infrared channel for dust, I think that best is using a bare HEPA air purifier to not have dust, and if there is some dust then I prefer to see it in the scan, to be aware that I've dust and to correct that situation.

The Plustek 120 it's too expensive for me, I'm happy with V800/850 MF scans, and the 120 (to cover MF) has a lower ultimate performance than 8100 for 35mm.

Here you have the details:

https://www.filmscanner.info/en/Plus...cFilm8100.html
    https://www.filmscanner.info/en/Plus...Film8200i.html
    https://www.filmscanner.info/en/Plus...icFilm120.html
    https://www.filmscanner.info/en/Plus...icFilm135.html

https://plustek.com/usa/products/fil...hoto-scanners/

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    I sold off the film holder I had bought for this scanner because I found out I got much shaper scans by scanning directly on the glass.
    That's odd. I have a 4990 as well and years ago, I did some testing and found that I got marginally better resolution if I used the film holders and shimmed the holders so that they were roughly 1mm higher than usual. With negatives placed directly onto the platen, resolution was noticeably degraded. My results were in line with what was widely reported and also the reason why the BetterScanning holders (which I don't have BTW) have an adjustable height setting that allows the film holder to be raised a little above where the stock holder sits. Perhaps something is slightly out of alignment in your scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    height setting
    btw, here there is a mesuring of the impact of height in the ressolution.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...t-spot.151784/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V750 Horizontal Resolution.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	182077

Name:	V750 Vertical Resolution.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	182078

That's for the 750 and I think we have established that the optical array is supposed to be different from the 4990. I believe I've seen similar charts with comparable results for the 4990 though, which always makes me wonder how big the difference in terms of optics really is between these scanners.

which always makes me wonder how big the difference in terms of optics really is between these scanners.
    I'd say that the main glass difference is that the V7xx/8xx has two lenses, and that the 750/850 have coatings in the lenses. This allows the Vs perform better when width is under 5.9" when the "hires" lens is used.

That's odd. I have a 4990 as well and years ago, I did some testing and found that I got marginally better resolution if I used the film holders and shimmed the holders so that they were roughly 1mm higher than usual. With negatives placed directly onto the platen, resolution was noticeably degraded. My results were in line with what was widely reported and also the reason why the BetterScanning holders (which I don't have BTW) have an adjustable height setting that allows the film holder to be raised a little above where the stock holder sits. Perhaps something is slightly out of alignment in your scanner?
    That is odd! I thought the 4990 was supposed to be focused on the glass, since unlike the V series, it doesn’t have a second lens specifically for film. But I could be mistaken. Anyway, they say that manufacturing tolerances vary, so it wouldn’t be unusual for two scanners to have different optimum heights. Still it sounds like our’s are way off from each other. In any case, mine scans well, so even if it is out of alignment, I’m not messing with it!

If I provide my own illumination I can scan 4x5s on the V600 with one scan (previously I stitched from multiple scans). I used a ceiling 2x2ft edge lit light panel meant for hanging ceilings. Placed on top of the scanning bed with the lid flipped up. I used the regular flatbed document mode in Vuescan at 1600dpi and 48bit. I then brought the file into Photoshop and added two adjustment layers; inversion and then the BW layer. Lastly I flattened the image. The stars aligned on this project. I was helping family install a hanging ceiling and had a few old 4x5s from the 70s that my father took, and was able to try this out. I'm very impressed with the resolved detail, and how it just worked. The specific model was by a brand NEOX NX-ELP22-27D40ST. This model I guess is dimmable, but my family didn't wire it that way. Full power. It is 4000k temperature. Wish I could see the dimming, since that might negatively effect the scanning if it flickers, but if it doesn't that could be nice to control for exposure. Vuescan doesn't have exposure options when in flatbed mode. Unfortunately in transparency mode it limits the bed view to the restricted center section where the built-in light is.

This makes me want to try some X-ray film in my great grandpa's Kodak No. 3A and develop in Caffenol. I've only delved into 120 and 35mm.

Name:	20200514_203701.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	203781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200514_203740.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	203782

Crop from a waist up portrait. Very impressive sharpness on the eyelashes(the forum upload will probably soften it...:-( ):

Name:	4x5film 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	203779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5film 9.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	203780

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    I don't want to do this.

I might keep my 3200 for now or see if I can add an additional $500 so I can get the V800.

If I keep my 3200, I will need a third-party software to use because Epson no longer supports a driver for this scanner. If you can recommend a software to get, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
    I have a 3200 and it runs great with Vuescan, got more options you can control than the epson software had.