Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Is this true? The V600 doesn't come with the 4x5 trays to scan these LF negatives? From the product description I see it only comes with trays for 35mm and 120. I would have to buy a V800 and the price really goes up $715.25 vs $189.99 for the V600 right now on B&H. I was just about to place the order when I saw this. Have any of you figure out a way to scan 4x5 negatives on the V600 and if so, are you happy with the results?

Thanks.
    --Mario

Re: V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Yes. Doesn't have the square footage/area required to scan the 4x5 film.

Not total area but the film scanning area: it's a narrow strip on the middle of the scanner
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Is this true? The V600 doesn't come with the 4x5 trays to scan these LF negatives? From the product description I see it only comes with trays for 35mm and 120. I would have to buy a V800 and the price really goes up $715.25 vs $189.99 for the V600 right now on B&H. I was just about to place the order when I saw this. Have any of you figure out a way to scan 4x5 negatives on the V600 and if so, are you happy with the results?

Thanks.
    Sent using Tapatalk

I'll be very interested in the feedback as well--I just joined a local community darkroom that has only a V600. In doing some background work, I did run across a Youtube video of a young man who made his own 4x5 "tray" from a repurposed desk mat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFD0MwxniNM

For myself, I'm not sure if the approach will be an improvement over a DSLR "scan," but I'm probably going to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Yes. Doesn't have the square footage/area required to scan the 4x5 film.

Not total area but the film scanning area: it's a narrow strip on the middle of the scanner.
    I don't understand? What do you mean by film scanning area? I use an old 3200 and a 4x5 sheet is fine. Both the 3200 and the V600 appear to be the same size (and similar scanning area).
    --Mario

I don't understand? What do you mean by film scanning area? I use an old 3200 and a 4x5 sheet is fine. Both the 3200 and the V600 appear to be the same size (and similar scanning area).
    They're the same size as a whole and they scan the same size reflective area, but there's a smaller, narrower window for illuminating and scanning negatives on the V600 than on the 3200.

Macandal, if your 3200 serves you well, just use it. I did replace my 2400 with a 700, but for my level of photography there was little improvement in scanning 4x5 negatives. If you have other reasons for upgrading to a V600, you can improvise film holders from mat board to scan each half of the 4x5 film, and stitch the halves together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    ... and stitch the halves together.
    I don't want to do this.

I might keep my 3200 for now or see if I can add an additional $500 so I can get the V800.

If I keep my 3200, I will need a third-party software to use because Epson no longer supports a driver for this scanner. If you can recommend a software to get, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
    --Mario

Have any of you figure out a way to scan 4x5 negatives on the V600 and if so, are you happy with the results?
    The V600 does not scan 4x5 negatives, because the width of the backlight is under 4".

In theory you can scan with the V600 two strips of the 45 negative and then stitching the strips in photoshop.

If for the moment you don't want to spend money in a LF scanner you can buy a used HP G4050

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	182028

Now you have one used for $40 at ebay that does not include cables/holders, I guess.

Other used having all accesories may cost some $80.

It looks it works with XP to Windows 10. https://support.hp.com/es-es/drivers...canner/3236371

A V800 is a way better scanner, but with the G4050 you may get decent images to post, here you can see a flickr search showing images scanned with a G4050: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...050&view_all=1

For the long term I'd recommend a V800 or V850 if you scan dense slides, as the 850 includes multi-exposure software feature in the boundled silverfast version that you would have to purchase separately if buying the V800.

But you can start with G4050.

I was in a similar situation and bought a used Epson 4990. I also bought Vuescan and am quite happy with the combination.

I’ve never stitched a 4x5 negative, but I have stitched 35mm and 120 negatives that I used a DSLR to scan. It’s easy to do in Photoshop. It’s an automated process. The down side is sometimes it doesn’t align them properly. And then you either have to do it by hand or reshoot/rescan them and try again. If there is plenty of overlapping detail and things aren’t too repetitive or empty on each section (like a building with repeating rows of windows or a plain blue sky), it usually does a good job. Once you get the hang of it, it’s not too hard to predict problems before they happen and adjust accordingly. The less scans/shots you try to stitch at one, the better. 2 isn’t bad. 4 is usually acceptable. 9 gets pretty dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    I was in a similar situation and bought a used Epson 4990. I also bought Vuescan and am quite happy with the combination.

I’ve never stitched a 4x5 negative, but I have stitched 35mm and 120 negatives that I used a DSLR to scan. It’s easy to do in Photoshop. It’s an automated process. The down side is sometimes it doesn’t align them properly. And then you either have to do it by hand or reshoot/rescan them and try again. If there is plenty of overlapping detail and things aren’t too repetitive or empty on each section (like a building with repeating rows of windows or a plain blue sky), it usually does a good job. Once you get the hang of it, it’s not too hard to predict problems before they happen and adjust accordingly. The less scans/shots you try to stitch at one, the better. 2 isn’t bad. 4 is usually acceptable. 9 gets pretty dicey.
    The 4990 is a way better scanner than the G4050, a bit more expensive usually, and as always we should check if the film holders are included, as some people sell it separately.