Thread: Alan Ross Yosemite Workshop "Crafting the Fine Silver Image" 9-13 October 2018

Alan Ross Yosemite Workshop "Crafting the Fine Silver Image" 9-13 October 2018

Alan is a good friend of mine, I am honoured to say, and a wonderful photographer, printer, teacher, and a former assistant to Ansel Adams, entrusted by him to keep printing Ansel's Special Editions, keeping his style alive whilst silver technologies have evolved. I wanted to let LFPF readers know that Alan is teaching a silver-gelatin printing and photography workshop in Yosemite Valley, at the Ansel Adams Gallery, in what used to be Ansel's own darkroom this October 9–13. Workshop will include both darkroom demo sessions, done by Alan, as well as your photography in the magnificent Yosemite surroundings, with plenty of feedback on your work.

As of today, there are 2 spaces left (out of 10).

You can register here and there is more info here. A block of rooms is being held at the Yosemite Lodge for the attendees, to be released on 31 August.

Here is what he wrote about the workshop:

FLASHBACK FRIDAY: As I gear up for my all film workshop in Yosemite this coming October (a few spots left and the smoke will have cleared…don’t miss out!), it takes me back to the days of Ansel’s June workshops in Yosemite. In those days, the workshops included as many as 8 instructors, including Ansel, and about sixty students. The instructors ranged from Carmel fixtures such as Al Weber and Morely Baer, to artists such as Dorr Bothwell and Ralph Putzker, and other photo luminaries such as Yosuf Karsh, Arnold Newman, Ralph Gibson, Judy Dater, Imogen Cunningham, Ruth Bernhard and Mary Ellen Mark. We broke the students down into smaller groups and rotated them throughout the week so that everyone had a chance to work with each instructor. There were late night photo philosophy chit chats, (and probably more than a few glasses of whatever consumed), and nightly processing of film. A lot of this would be impractical with today’s fast-paced lifestyle, but sometimes a guy can wish…those WERE the days! Here’s a snap of me and Ansel and Ansel teaching from one of those June workshops that surfaced recently while working on a video project, and the color one from Ansel's last Yosemite Workshop in 1981. Enjoy! To snag one of the last spots in this October’s workshop, click here:
    https://shop.anseladams.com/Ansel_Ad...p/32181009.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38846506_2158494580889527_488910936350916608_n.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	181943
    See you in Yosemite—I will be there!

Rafal

PS. For the avoidance of doubt, I have no financial interest in the workshop. I just thought that it could be a great opportunity for some of us to learn from one of the very best, and the most experienced photographers, one who teaches what he knows best.
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 2-Sep-2018 at 15:11. Reason: URL fixed
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Re: Alan Ross Yosemite Workshop "Crafting the Fine Silver Image" 9-13 October 2018

The link provided was truncated, this is the correct URL.

Re: Alan Ross Yosemite Workshop "Crafting the Fine Silver Image" 9-13 October 2018

I claim no unbiased opinion here as I also give workshops at the Ansel Adams Gallery occasionally (next one is not until Fall 2019) and attended one myself last Fall (gum over platinum/palladium with Kerik Kouklis). The facilities and location are excellent, of course. October is a good time to be in the Valley. The various waterfalls are not booming, but the colors will be good and the river will be sweet. Alan is a great teacher.

It might be a little late now to get a camp reservation in the Valley, but I camped when I took Kerik Kouklis' workshop...saved a few bucks and more enjoyable for me as I have been camping all my life and it is a comfortable lifestyle for me. Plus my nephew and his family visited for a couple nights -- not that the workshop gave me any time with them during the day!

Here are two 8x10 images taken one October many years ago (when the same nephew got married in the Valley). The Merced River and one of the base of Bridalvail Fall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock, Reflection, Merced River, YNP_16x20.jpg   WSBaseofBVFalls.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by jpheneger View Post
    The link provided was truncated, this is the correct URL.
    Many thanks for that—I have fixed the URL in the original post.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I claim no unbiased opinion here as I also give workshops at the Ansel Adams Gallery occasionally (next one is not until Fall 2019) and attended one myself last Fall (gum over platinum/palladium with Kerik Kouklis). The facilities and location are excellent, of course. October is a good time to be in the Valley. The various waterfalls are not booming, but the colors will be good and the river will be sweet. Alan is a great teacher.
    Very nice pictures, Vaughn (as always), and thanks for your kind words about Alan. I will pass them on, unless you beat me to it.

I agree, Alan is one of the few still working originals of that amazing era, and a superb teacher to boot, because what he teaches is the stuff he actually has done at least a million times. It is getting rare to find teachers who practice what they preach.

Not to mention Alan is a wonderful friend, so I guess I am biased too.
    Rafal Lukawiecki