Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma CLA, Europe?

Re: Sinar Norma CLA, Europe?

Yes. All back together again and a lot better than it was before. Not perfect and I keep find blackened dry grease on places I had already cleaned, but I guess that's what happens when I don't open the camera up completely. The tilt, which was the worst of the movements is now the smoothest.

Just wanted to say thank you again for responding to all my questions here. Gave me the confidence to tackle it know that I could come back on here if I got stuck.

Can I just ask one more question. What is the best way to mount this on a tripod? I have a gitzo traveller tripod. It is light weight but super sturdy so I think it should handle the Norma ok. I also have markins ball head (I think a q20) and a RRS quick release clamp attached to it. Is there something I can get for the Norma that would allow me to clip into the quick release?

You are welcome.

The best head by far is the green one Sinar made for the Norma. It was designed to be part of the camera, really. I have four or five of them around they are THE BEST

I strongly dislike ball heads but YMMV
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bobab View Post
    Yes. All back together again and a lot better than it was before. Not perfect and I keep find blackened dry grease on places I had already cleaned, but I guess that's what happens when I don't open the camera up completely. The tilt, which was the worst of the movements is now the smoothest.

Just wanted to say thank you again for responding to all my questions here. Gave me the confidence to tackle it know that I could come back on here if I got stuck.

Can I just ask one more question. What is the best way to mount this on a tripod? I have a gitzo traveller tripod. It is light weight but super sturdy so I think it should handle the Norma ok. I also have markins ball head (I think a q20) and a RRS quick release clamp attached to it. Is there something I can get for the Norma that would allow me to clip into the quick release?
    Do you have the Sinar encircling clamp. If so you can just add a good, strong round Arca compatible clamp like the Novflex one. It mounts to your release in any of 4 directions. Novoflex call it it’s 6x6 plate

5x7 Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is my 5x7/13x18 Norma with the Norma Pan-Tilt Head. Gitzo legs are great but this Norma Pan Tilt Head is uber rock solid and super quick to set up. Ball heads are difficult to level in all aspects which can be quite frustrating. Sometimes the shooting setup speed can be greatly important! Of course this may not be an issue for you?

This is not cheap item, but it is an extension of the Norma concept, and most here will agree it is a superior design in every way. It completes the Norma.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    You are welcome.

.... I have four or five of them around ...
    Explains why I can't find any

Quote Originally Posted by Bobab View Post
    Explains why I can't find any
    They are around. Other people are also looking for these. Norma stuff is fairly plentiful. Prices all over the place.

Check Ebay.com I also look at Ebay.de Search simply under "Sinar" as they get listed all sorts of ways.

There is a copy made in China but I would get real Norma if I were you You won't be disappointed Just make sure not broken

I have bought a lot of Norma stuff from local camera shops over thirty five + year's time, and online when came the internet from all over the world
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 26-Jul-2020 at 06:40.

― Mark Twain

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    They are around. Other people are also looking for these. Norma stuff is fairly plentiful. Prices all over the place.

Check Ebay.com I also look at Ebay.de Search simply under "Sinar" as they get listed all sorts of ways.

There is a copy made in China but I would get real Norma if I were you You won't be disappointed Just make sure not broken

I bought a lot of Norma stuff from local camera shops over thirty five year's time
    You could do what i did. I bought the Chinese copy because, frustrated, i couldn't find a true Sinar. The copy functions great. Well made. Immediately, a very fine Sinar version popped up on the auction site, and i got it for the same price. The Sinar version is black, but it matches the tripod so all good. They are still out there, and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Between here and there

I have been looking for molybdenum disulfide "grease", found some dry Moly Lube on the Microtools homepage, but does that work - or does it have to be something more fluid?

If not, what could otherwise be used that can be found in Europe?
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Norma Moly Grease by Nokton48, on Flickr

OK I am in the USA. I bought this at the local auto parts store, this is way beyond a lifetime supply. This is what I am using.

"Premium Moly EP Grease Grasa Tipo Moli EP". Suitable for Ford Lincoln Mercury chassis, drum brake bearings, u-joints, etc.

Lithium 12 Hydroxy extreme pressure grease.

FYI: On the left in the tiny tin, is Sinar Norma original grease, which came with one of my cameras. Sinar used to tape the tin of grease (in a Sinar logo imprinted manila envelope) to the inside cover of the instruction book. As you can clearly see, it's about the same thing.

I use a flat wooden toothpick to apply just the tiniest amount to the Norma lube points. Then buff off any excess. Sinar says "just the lightest emulsion coating" which is not much at all. The action should be super silky smooth.

― Mark Twain

Recent Norma finds by Nokton48, on Flickr

Norma stuff is out there. Yesterday my wife and I went to Midwest Photo Exchange. In the back corner was a kind of rough looking 8x10 Norma Expert outfit set up with 4x5 reducing back, and some other stuff, with the original 8x10 travel case.

They priced a Pan Tilt head separately, and I made them an offer of $210 which they accepted. This is like the cleanest head I have now.

And they had a super clean Norma shutter in good condition. I made them an offer of $125 (without cables) and they accepted that.

So stay diligent. Print out the instruction book so when things pop up cheaply you know what you need and can grab them.

The shutter runs smoothly and appears accurate to my eye, but it now does stick partially open when popped for viewing, so it really needs a good clean and lube. I have found a great guy in NYC who cleans and adjusts any Sinar Shutter for $175 and this is the second one he will be getting from me.

Years ago a clockmaker friend cleaned my first Norma shutter. Did you know that the interior bearing points are jeweled, like a fine Swiss watch?
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 26-Jul-2020 at 06:55.

― Mark Twain