Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Arca Swiss Model B, I'm happy

8x10 Arca Swiss Model B, I'm happy

So, after ten years in digital hell, I'm back where I belong. Got me an 8x10 Arca Swiss Model B and it's so gorgeous! A monorail camera with more movements than I'm ever going to need, yaw free, made in the land of precision watches in a time when things weren't made to be barely good enough, but as good as possible. And it's super light - a little under 4,5 kilograms (nine pounds and fifteen ounces for those with the weird system). 1 000 Euros, I don't think they come much cheaper these days, but hey hey hey.
    The weak point of the camera - there are light seals in many places (that was different with my old Linhof that was all metal - but then again, it was twice as heavy), and, as was to be expected, they've all turned to muck in the course of the years and need replacement. (No pictures of the camera before everything is ready!)
    The bellows is rather short, 45cm (17" f.t.w.t.w.s.), and I'll have to build a top hat lens board for the 360mm lens I want to get. For now, I'll be going with the 240mm G-Claron I've found in a drawer (!), the 10 boxes of 160VC and NC I found at the bottom of the freezer (!!), hoping that those holders I've bought are light-tight --
    Wish me luck, please!

Re: 8x10 Arca Swiss Model B, I'm happy

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll enjoy the camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Curious, possible to elaborate or expand on Digital Hell?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nagl View Post
    So, after ten years in digital hell, I'm back where I belong. Got me an 8x10 Arca Swiss Model B )

Thank you, Peter!

Well Bernice, "hell" might have been a slight exaggeration, but to work with a camera that I do actually understand, and to have perspective control at my fingertips and never more to have to worry About blown highlights etc sure does feel like Heaven!

I've always wanted an Arca camera. I was lucky enough to use an F-line for a few months. They are great all-around cameras!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If you need to replace yours, BH photo sells" light seal foam" in various thicknesses.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Great AllRoundCAmera indeed, also that is where the name comes from, I believe.
    Foam: Thanks, but I found a supplier in Germany, and as soon as I have the stuff I'm set to gooooooo (it's exciting!)

made in the land of precision watches
    Close, but not in Switzerland, as the name was meant to trick you into believing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArcaSwiss.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	181877

They moved to France in 1999 - strange move, given their name, isn't it? Probably wanted to be in the EU, and probably wages are lower there. But mine was made before that, in the land of precision chocolate and high end cheese and delicate watches. (Also, seeing Dijon on that map, I remember having heard that Dijon mustard production was moved to Turkey - even stranger. Wonder where do they make champagne these days?)