Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a developer I can stand in...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Looking for a developer I can stand in...

I spent the last hour-and-a-half rereading old posts on the forum about stand development. By far, the most popular developers fo this are Pyrocat HD and Rodinal. Problem is, both require the user to wear rubber gloves while tray-developing. Let us be gauche but honest, gentlemen; wearing rubber gloves while developing is like wearing a condom during sex, and I don't wanna do it.

The question, then: is there a developer which yields excellent results in stand developing which is also reasonably safe for limited skin contact?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Rubber gloves in Rodinal? I've never heard that. I've been using it 1:50 with my hands in it going on 15 years. I'm lucky, or blissfully unaware, or not doing anything dumb and I suspect I'm about to learn which. I wouldn't think extremely dilute HC110 would bother anybody, so that is another candidate. Usually with long development times you're not soaking your nails in it like Madge and her Palmolive. Rodinal? You're soaking in it. You're kidding....

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Kevin- There's lots of info out there arguing whether it is or isn't toxic, but FreeStyle (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=4697) classifies it as ORM-D, (Other Regulated Materials, Class D), ground shipment only. They don't do that for Pyro PMK, one of the more hardcore pyro developers, or some other nasty chemicals, which gives me pause...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I also have used Rodinal without gloves for years. And remember that with stand development you're probably talking dilutions of 1:150+ and spending very little time with your hands in the soup because of non-agitation. There's simply nothing to worry about here, but if you're really still concerned and think you need protection, make the act of putting on gloves a part of photographic foreplay: take your time, laugh about it ...a safelight and soft music can help.

I also have been using Rodinal for years without gloves.
    It sure is not gentle in your hands since at times I can feel burning sensation on my skin when I use it.
    I have not soffered of any kidney problems....yet.

Can you stand develop sheet film in trays? I've developed 8x10 film in trays and I thought I remembered it curling at the ends and floating to the top when it sat there unagitated for any length of time. I would have expected that to lead to uneven development. No?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

a safelight for processing film? Are you thinking of the dark green light used in inspection development?

The Genesee River - upstream from RIT and Kodak - was used by a photo grad student to develop film and paper back in the 80s. A bit slower than Dektol, but it got the job done.

The little woman is a R.N. So I have an endless supply of surgical gloves. They work really well and are a little more sensitive to the touch than rubber gloves. I tray develope with pyro so I just think its better to be safe than sorry. Rubber gloves can be cumbersome. But if you ever have a reaction to pyro then you developing career with it is over and that is not an option for me as I find pyro to produce the best negatives for what I do.

TROLL. You don't put your hands in the developer at all (that's what's meant by stand developing -- the film just sits there, untouched until fully developed), and nobody but a total idiot refuses to use a condom when it's appropiate (for the safety of BOTH parties).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)