Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: grafmatics

Re: grafmatics

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, Singer sold Graflex to a company in FL, small husband and wife company. Those were the ones that failed, and that was the last of Graflex/Graphic as a stand-alone. Whatever was left went to Toyo’s parent,.
    Ah, good to know. Thanks Bob.

They weren’t all made in the US. There were some UK-manufactured ones. I had one. It did not work and I used it for parts. Did not work even though it looked brand new. I have around 10 of the US ones. Some of them work 100% and some have occasional hiccups. I put a check mark in the white box on the back every time I have 6 successes so the most reliable ones stand out. Still, on an important trip, I take a little changing bag just in case I have an issues that might otherwise result in losing negatives fixing it.

The metal the septums are made of seems very brittle and trying to straighten them much is difficult.

I used them for years but would agree with what others have said that in the end felt they just weren't worth it over conventional holders. I would get an occasional sheet that wouldn't stay slid all the way under the small space at the end of the septum resulting in the image going right up to the physical edge of the piece of film and sometimes loosing 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch.

Someone, I think it was Norman McGrath at the Maine Media workshops, showed me how to remove the annoying numbering wheel using a screwdriver and needle nosed pliers, when I highly suggest doing if you don't want to crop every single picture shot with them.

They save volume over 3 regular holders but not much weight.

My friend's father shot the entire early space program with them as a pro with a large aerospace subcontractor... Most of his location/outdoor work was shot with them...

I ended up with them, and very worn looking, they still work well after service was given...

Some minor issues, and after mending (and proper procedure loading and using), and they are still going...

But still not my choice if only a couple of sheets need to be exposed...

Steve K