Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Saltzman

More Saltzman

Got this today. It's an 8X10 Saltzman negative stretcher, AKA glassless film carrier for any big Saltzman. THere were 3 sizes and complications.

14.5" X 25" long. Good condition with all parts, but does need a CLA, meaning disassembly and cleaning.

I already use the smaller 5X7 Saltsman stretcher and like it.

Now I realize that there is a consensus on this forum that insists glass 2 piece film carriers are the only way to go.

I disagree.

I only recently became aware that nearly every enlarger company made 'stretchers'.

At some time there was a market.

If you were the other bidder, contact me. We seem to be chasing the same objects. I got it for $2.50 over your bid.

Saltzman Stretcher by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Re: More Saltzman

Interesting accessory, thanks for sharing. So Randy, when do we get to see a photo of the beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Interesting accessory, thanks for sharing. So Randy, when do we get to see a photo of the beast?
    It's a long-term project.

I am very busy.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 16-Aug-2018 at 13:06. Reason: Forgot text
    Tin Can

I have never used one but it is hard to imagine any disadvantage. I suspect if there are any you will find out and let us know.
    On this one I don't see any spring tension. Do you just pull it taught and tighten down the thumbscrews at each end?

The 8 black things on the right are springs each pulling an individual metal clamp. I was really hoping the springs were intact, they are fine, just tarnished.

Both sides have little levers on the ends to open and close the clamps.

The 2 sides are fully adjustable for narrower film. 4X10 is accommodated as is 5x7. A very dexterous person could conceivably clamp multiple 35mm strips. Not this guy.

I also have 2 of the really simple Calumet 8X10 spring carriers that use a different method.

Of course, I use a 4x5 Negaflat too.

Rebate lovers don't love these gadgets!

I have the same size Saltzman in double glass also.
    Tin Can

Glennview has his own design.
    Tin Can

I was thinking in making one for my diy enlarger project, this is the first I see, thanks for sharing this image.

It's name your poison with any style carrier... Glass less does not have glass, but heat/IR CAN pop the neg, glass holds it flat but there's the newton's ring thing, harder to keep clean and more glass in the optical path, or stretch carriers that can possibly have a slight ripple if the emulsion is unequally hard or dry/damp and modern bases are different than the past...

Having different types to fit different conditions/situations is a good thing...

Steve K

I'm with Steve on this one. It should also be noted that not all glassless carriers work as well as others. The Saltzman is a beast and probably does a fine job. A friend who uses a Saltzman 8x10 for big prints made his own stretcher carrier. For him it was a waste of time, and he went back to glass.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Exactly Steve.

The Calumet is sensitive to wind and air displacement. I load it on a table then slip it off the table sideways then insert it delicately into the head slot that is already close to final focus.

My V-XL 8X10 came a DIY double AN glass 8X10 neg carrier. It does work well. However, I have yet to print with it.
    Tin Can