Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Lexar lens?

Schneider Lexar lens?

There is a Nagel plate camera from the 1928/29 for sale somewhere, and the lens is a Jos. Schneider & Co Kreuznach Lexar 4,5/135. I can't find information about this lens online. I suspect it's a Xenar, but why would they rename it?

Re: Schneider Lexar lens?

Probably because it was sold by someone that placed a large enough order to private label them. Like Sinar selling Sinaron branded Rodenstock lenses.

That is one possibility. It could also have been renamed for a very short while because of a legal dispute, or perhaps "Jos. Schneider & Co" stands for what would become "ISCO"?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Patric Dahlen View Post
    That is one possibility. It could also have been renamed for a very short while because of a legal dispute, or perhaps "Jos. Schneider & Co" stands for what would become "ISCO"?
    But Patric, ISCO was (is still?) located in Goettingen, the parent company is in Kreuznach. The eBay listing shows a lens engraved "Jos. Schneider & Co. Kreuznach."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    But Patric, ISCO was (is still?) located in Goettingen, the parent company is in Kreuznach. The eBay listing shows a lens engraved "Jos. Schneider & Co. Kreuznach."
    Back in the 70s and 80s a man named Heinrich Mandermann was buying up bankrupt and distressed East and West German companies. Among those were Schneider which had been liquidated, B+W which was being run by trustees when the Berman and Weber families decided they were not interested in the business their fathers had started, after their deaths and Rollei.

When he purchased the assets of Schneider he spun off divisions that were causing losses. Among those was Isco whose main business was making projecting lenses for 8, Super 8, 16 and slide projectors. This was at the time that home movie projection was quickly being replaced by home video.

So from that point till 2008, when the current Schneider reacquired Isco, there was a modern period of more then two decades where Schneider did not own Isco.

Bob, the OP asked about a lens and camera made in the late 1920s.

Bob, the OP asked about a lens and camera made in the late 1920s.
    That I know, I was responding to your was/is.

I still think it is an OEM lens. Much like the Apo Ronar lenses with names like Klimpsh on the barrel.

Good point, and I checked an old Xenar and it's also engraved "Jos. Schneider & Co Kreuznach". I have sent Schneider Kreuznach an email, and perhaps they have information about the "Lexar" hidden in the archives. It's an interesting mystery, but I'm not that interested in buying the camera for the lens. The "Lexar" is rare, but it's almost certainly a Xenar or Radionar, or maybe Doppel-Anastigmat Isconar, with another name.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Patric Dahlen View Post
    or maybe Doppel-Anastigmat Isconar, with another name.
    But Patric, ISCO was founded in 1936.

But Patric, ISCO was founded in 1936.
    The name Isconar/Jsconar was used long before that. Joseph Schneider & Co -nar.