Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet/dry plate holders for 4x5

Wet/dry plate holders for 4x5

I'm looking to get into wet/dry plates on my 4x5, does anyone have recommendations for pre-made holders? I've found a few sites that show how to convert one, but I'd rather not experiment with the few holders I already have...

Foamer

Re: Wet/dry plate holders for 4x5

Chamonix makes one for wet plate, and it should also work for dry.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Chamonix is a well-designed plate holder - easy to use, a pleasure to handle, and it does the job beautifully. It could be used for film as well, if need be.

Chamonix are well made and light - (I've got the 5x7 and 8x10). However, note that they are film sized so cut your plates accordingly.

If only needing 4x5 I highly recommend getting a Graflex 1234 holder - it is cheap (~$20). If you don't want to go through the modification shown below, grab one of Andrew's adapters.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=graflex+1234

"Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

A follow up question, as I am planning to get a Chamonix 4x5 plate holder to try out dry plates: is such a plate holder a good option for paper negatives as well? I have trouble getting paper to properly load into my Fidelity 4x5 holders, because of the thickness of the paper (not the dimensions of the sheet of paper).

Oof - the Chamonix holders are expensive!!! They're beautiful, but expensive! I got two Graflex 1234 holders and will modify them to hold plates. Thanks @ghostcount for the video!

Could you recommend me a convenient and reliable dry plate holder for Sinar 4x5?
    Glass size: 127x102x1.8mm.
    No experience of shooting on glass.

Have you looked at Jason's dry plate holder? See https://www.pictoriographica.com/sto...agraphica.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Have you looked at Jason's dry plate holder? See https://www.pictoriographica.com/sto...agraphica.html
    Yes, I have not seen these holders personally, but so far the plastic of the 3D printer stops.

Quote Originally Posted by russo turisto View Post
    Yes, I have not seen these holders personally, but so far the plastic of the 3D printer stops.
    Why? Well printed plastic is just as durable as a fidelity holder. Possibly more so.