Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: European alternatives to (Commercial) Ektars?

Re: European alternatives to (Commercial) Ektars?

andreios,
    When I bought my 8x10 it had a Packard nicely installed, so it gave me the chance to use some of the barrel lenses I had been collecting.
    Now I prefer shooting with the often vintage barrel lenses and only use a traditional shutter for my portrait work.

Think about using SK Grimes.....you can send them a Sinar board, a Toyo board and about 100 usd and they will modify the Sinar board to receive the Toyo board.

I did.......and all of my 45AR lenses can be used on my View camera. My older barrel lenses can sit in front of the Sinar shutter without changing boards or duplicating lenses.

Grimes needs the Toyo board to make sure it is a perfect fit inside of the modified Sinar and it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    I have yet to find a sinar to graphic(toyo field) adapter so that I could use a lens on both my Toyo metal field (half plate) and my Tachi 8x10.
    Just buy the front standard from a 4x5 Graphic (or a junk Graphic camera and rob the part) and mount it to the front of a Sinar board. Drill a hole in each corner and attach with machine screws (don't overtighten). Use a bit of black silicon between them to assure light-tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is something you can DIY, simply use the frame of a sinar standard and fix it on a toyo lensboard that has a big hole, enough to allow the rear cell to pass.

You can use a cheap Multi-Purpose sinar standard for that.

If you use two cameras, better if you solve the lens boardcompatibility as soon as possible, this is what I found...

I use sinar and cambo and it was a nightmare, I made a 3D printed adapter and I'm really happy with that.

Attachment 181505
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's the other way round, my travel camera is the half plate toyo metal field that uses smaller Graphic lens boards.. But some of the suggestions like attaching a butchered front standard from a graphic camera to a sonar board do actually make sense!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's the other way round, my travel camera is the half plate toyo metal field that uses smaller Graphic lens boards.. But some of the suggestions like attaching a butchered front standard from a graphic camera to a sonar board do actually make sense!

ok, I understand...

Just it can be added that there is another straight way I had considered in the past, you modify a lensboard from each camera to take a third (small) lensboard, that can be a custom design, a view camera design, or even a enlarger lensboard similar to this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	181514

This is interesting for field photography because lens boards can be way smaller, and this saves a lot of space in the bag, allowing to store all lenses in a single plastic tupper that has a foam block with the right holes. The circle of the lensboard can be as small as the largest rear element you have.

Not Tessars, but certainly regarded as alternatives for the Commercial Ektars were older Schneider Symmars.
    Commercial photographers appear to have used them in the same ways as Commercial Ektars with very similar (to my old eyes) results
    Congos are more recent Japanese Tessar versions of Commercial Ektars and are found in modern shutters.
    Either may be more widely available in Europe---truthfully, I wouldn't know.
    Another Commercial Ektar type Tessar lens is the 375mm Ilex, which might be worth looking out for.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Another Commercial Ektar type Tessar lens is the 375mm Ilex, which might be worth looking out for.
    I can recommend the f7 Ilex 508mm. Mine is super sharp wide open, but the shutter size #5 is not what you are looking for. The Kodak 135mm anastigmat light out 5x7" and is sharp all over 4x5" image, so this might be a way to go with longer focal lenghts.

Sent fra min D6503 via Tapatalk

Rodenstock made a coated 210mm f6.3 Ysarex in Synchro Compur shutter that should be a fine lens. The Zeiss 210mm f6.3 Tessar has already been mentioned. I would expect both to be comparable to the Kodak Commercial Ektar.

Rodenstock offered a 210mm f6.3 coated Ysarex in synchro Compur that should be in the same league as the 8-1/2" Commercial Ektar.

Thanks. Did they make them in longer focal lengths as well? I am looking more into the 300-360mm area..

Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.