Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 unusual lenses-seeking information

Illustrator

2 unusual lenses-seeking information

One of them is merely odd, but is apparently usable. It's a Wollensak Medium Format 75mm in-I think-an Alphax shutter. I know the usual pattern would be a (name) lens in a Wollensak shutter, but go figure. What's odd is that the shutter only has three speeds plus T & B. Everything seems to be functional, but it needs to be CLA. Any advice on this? Is it worth salvaging?
    The other lens is-to me, anyway, a new wrinkle. It's a Polaroid lens, that is, a Rodenstock 75mm, in a Prontor shutter, clearly for 4 X5 or larger, and the self-cocking shutter functions convincingly, but there is no apparent way to set the aperture. The scale is there, from f4.5 to f22, matching the speed scale, but there doesn't seem to be an iris. Can anybody explain the presence of the aperture scale, but the absence of a diaphragm? Is there a way to use this combination shutter and lens in a functioning camera? Waterhouse stops, maybe?

Re: 2 unusual lenses-seeking information

Quote Originally Posted by Birck View Post
    One of them is merely odd, but is apparently usable. It's a Wollensak Medium Format 75mm in-I think-an Alphax shutter. I know the usual pattern would be a (name) lens in a Wollensak shutter, but go figure. What's odd is that the shutter only has three speeds plus T & B. Everything seems to be functional, but it needs to be CLA. Any advice on this? Is it worth salvaging?
    The other lens is-to me, anyway, a new wrinkle. It's a Polaroid lens, that is, a Rodenstock 75mm, in a Prontor shutter, clearly for 4 X5 or larger, and the self-cocking shutter functions convincingly, but there is no apparent way to set the aperture. The scale is there, from f4.5 to f22, matching the speed scale, but there doesn't seem to be an iris. Can anybody explain the presence of the aperture scale, but the absence of a diaphragm? Is there a way to use this combination shutter and lens in a functioning camera? Waterhouse stops, maybe?
    If it is from a Polaroid it is most likely for close up or macro, is this what you plan to do? If not it would not be very good at infinity and probably would not cover 45, unless it is a Grandagon.
    Is it marked Roganar, Roganr S, Rodagon, Grandagon or something else?

Birck, Alphax is a Wollensak brand. They made, among others, Alphax, Betax, Gammax and Rapax shutters.

75 mm Rodenstock lens in a Prontor press shutter? Most likely for a Polaroid MP-3 copy/macro stand. Useless for general photography. Most likely a Ysaron. Don't waste any resources (time, sweat, $$$) on trying to use it. Another example of the corrupting influence of found money.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The Wollensak is most likely an oscilloscope lens, pretty common and not particularly desirable. I agree with Bob and Dan on the Polaroid lens. Both are easy to find on ebay if you want to compare.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I had a wollensak like that from some cheap 6x6 camera. Also, I remember one like that on a Graflex TLR I used to have

If the Wollensak is a f/1.9 Dumont CRO, those have been selling for crazy prices on eBay.

Illustrator

Thank you all for the information. I can now cross the Polaroid off my list of usable lenses. I didn't mention that I have had these lenses since the 1970's, the first time I started using large format equipment. Apparently I failed to note that the Polaroid lens didn't have an iris. Young and stupid. Thanks again.

Illustrator

For anybody interested, I figured out what the aperture/iris problem was with the Polaroid lens. I used eBay (of course) and found a fore-and-aft photo of an identical lens. See attached. No idea why the control ring was removed.Click image for larger version. Name: Mine & ebay.jpg Views: 0 Size: 36.4 KB ID: 181412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mine & ebay.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	181414

Some Polaroid lenses had the apertures removed to function as a sort of soft focus lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Birck View Post
    For anybody interested, I figured out what the aperture/iris problem was with the Polaroid lens. I used eBay (of course) and found a fore-and-aft photo of an identical lens. See attached. No idea why the control ring was removed.Click image for larger version. Name: Mine & ebay.jpg Views: 0 Size: 36.4 KB ID: 181412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mine & ebay.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	181414
    A method to keep the lens at the required aperature for the purpose it was set up for.