Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP ---------- NEWBIE ----- 8x10 coming out Black in tray developing Rodinal.

PLEASE HELP ---------- NEWBIE ----- 8x10 coming out Black in tray developing Rodinal.

Hello,

Attempting to develop some 8x10s, in trays, with Rodinal. (Just got delivered from freestyle). I am in the west so it was in some heat probably while being ground shipped...

First 8x10 in, just turned black within a minute....

Immediately loaded camera, took a photo of the window..... attempted to develop, same thing... a little more slowly developed into black.

Using a small red safe light, also from freestyle...

Thermometer they sent didnt work, so I kept water "lukewarm" after reading 68-75 degrees for rodinal.

My measurement was 3 cups of water to 15mL of rodinal.

What am I doing wrong???? Yes film was loaded correctly.

LONG TIME reader and peruser of this forum.... first time developing...... please inform.

Re: PLEASE HELP ---------- NEWBIE ----- 8x10 coming out Black in tray developing Rodi

Film is sensitive to red light and you're exposing the film while developing it. It must be developed in total darkness. Safelight is for paper which is not sensitive to red light. At least you got practice before going completely lights out.

Also, only one post is needed and this sub forum is the appropriate one to post this question in.

Re: PLEASE HELP ---------- NEWBIE ----- 8x10 coming out Black in tray developing Rodi

I apologize for posting twice, trying to get this sorted out before tomorrow.

I cannot believe that is the mistake..... how could one even see the film is being developed if in total darkness?

Ah I see thats it.... no wonder people use tube developers.... if you cant see the negative develop anyway.

Any other pointers? Can a green light be used as some places say?

Tim Sandstrom

you cannot see the film, because you need to be in can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face darkness

That being said, some use fancy night vision goggles to see development if you really think you need that...

What kind of film are you using? If it is color you need to be in the black, if it is black and white film you can use a red light. You are using rodinal so it must be black and white film. Try using less rodinal, 1:100

Quote Originally Posted by Clieben View Post
    Ah I see thats it.... no wonder people use tube developers.... if you cant see the negative develop anyway.

Any other pointers? Can a green light be used as some places say?
    It's all about the feeling and muscle memory and comes with practice. I develop my film via tray processing in pitch black darkness - lining up your trays in the sink accordingly. Shouldn't be any different as if you're loading film in film holders while in complete darkness.

For tutorial, these youtube videos on tray processing don't exist anymore and fortunately I saved them: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...cm?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    What kind of film are you using? If it is color you need to be in the black, if it is black and white film you can use a red light. You are using rodinal so it must be black and white film. Try using less rodinal, 1:100
    You know that you can't use safelights with modern black and white film, none at all.

Thank you, you guys are amazing.

Yes its Ilford BW in Rodinal.... took another photo dev in darkness it worked.... Been many many years since developing....

I spent the past year shooting with this film, never developing.... so yes, I think I will maybe ? need to get some kind of night vision goggles, because, I will need to see where the negative is at while developing... always planned to do that.... develop per negative.... didnt know about the total darkness obviously...

Will dilute it more.... I now have even more respect for the photos I see here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chow View Post
    It's all about the feeling and muscle memory and comes with practice. I develop my film via tray processing in pitch black darkness - lining up your trays in the sink accordingly. Shouldn't be any different as if you're loading film in film holders while in complete darkness.

For tutorial, these youtube videos on tray processing don't exist anymore and fortunately I saved them: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...cm?usp=sharing

Incredible, thank you Chris...