Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aristo 1212 Cold Light Head Images?

Aristo 1212 Cold Light Head Images?

I have an old Aristo 1212 cold light head that I'm trying to put back together. About 15 years ago I acquired this. UPS did a fine job, completely shattering the grid lamp. I was able, incredibly, to get UPS to pay for a replacement lamp (then available in the V54 formulation). As the unit was quite old, I disassembled it, vacuumed out all the glass shards and cleaned up and re-painted much of the hardware. I made a wiring diagram of the electrical connections, but neglected to do the same for the mechanical fitment. I was faced then with a cross-country move and it all went into storage.

Now I am trying to get the unit back together and I'm trying to figure out where the parts all go. Sounds sad, I know!
    But what I could really use is a photo of the inside of another unit.
    Does anyone have an old Aristo 1212 they might take pictures of (inside the light box?)

I know it's a long shot, but always worth asking.
    Thanks!

Eric Woodbury

Re: Aristo 1212 Cold Light Head Images?

I thought I had pix, but can't find them right now. I'll check at home or take new ones if not.

There aren't too many possibilities here. You have a V54 grid. It's a flat bunch of wiggles with the electrical connections at the corners. This part of the tube goes through at the corners of the box where there is an opening. The tube is on the white side and there are gold heater resistors on the opposite side. The grid, tube, is held in place with light copper wire twisted to hold everything. Sometimes the corners have this weird 'foam' stuff, but I don't think this is important.

There should be a wire on each end grid. These are connected with wire nuts to the high voltage wires coming from the transformer. There are other wires in there for the heater (thermo) on a separate cord.

Using a coldlight, you should have some kind of closed-loop timer to control the total exposure. For these to work, you should install the appropriate photo sensor before you finish installation.

The coldlight has no cover over the grid. The white acrylic on top of your 12x12 neg holder is the diffusor. The vent top metal screws on with some small sheet metal screws centered on the sides.

I'll look for those pix later.

Good luck.

I will also look into mine, which was moved carefully 4 months ago.

I installed it yesterday.

But everybody here starts freaking out whenever we discuss wiring anything...
    Tin Can

Thanks. What's got me a little confused are the internal support pieces. There are two angle pieces that fit along opposite sides at the bottom of the "box". So I think? i've got that figured out. Then there are two steel pieces about 1/4 x 1/4 x 12" and I just can't recall where they went. I did make a wiring diagram, so I think that's OK (and wiring doesn't freak me out). It's only electricity, right?
    Eventually I'll get it figured out. But sooner would be better, hence my request.
    Thanks!

After dinner in 30 minutes, I am going to fire! mine up. Then I will cool it down and take it apart.

Mine has a heater and a DIY compensator, with a transformer in a black box and a biger box with a % meter and a knob... 2 power cords. timer. I think I got it.

My diffusion is in place, I will get it into pieces before Jonny Carson. Oops! They show reruns here...
    Tin Can

Tin Can

Thanks Randy.. Had not seen that.

Eric Woodbury

Randy, interesting about the circle of paint. Allan Johnson designed these. He was very practical and didn't over-engineer. This was a way to make the light even.

Sorry Will, out of time tonight.

Mine works is all I know now, 300 watts.

I look into your question tomorrow.
    Tin Can

Inside of my 1414 showing a switch for the heater, the heater pilot light, the 4 resistors in parallel (heaters) attached to a mechanical thermostat in the middle with a capacitor to prolong the life of the contacts. Separate from this circuit, the leads from the lamp go to the terminal block and straight out to the transformer/ballast secondary leads which is located external to the lamphouse. Some other images that may be of benefit also.
    The heater kept it about 40C but when the lamp was on continuously for 5 minutes the temp went up to 45C with a measurable decline in light output. After processing a print the temperature would return to the 40C baseline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Aristo 1414.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	181331

Name:	IntensityTemp.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	181332

Name:	TempRecovery.jpg