Thread: Have been getting more spam on my blog - what's your experience?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Have been getting more spam on my blog - what's your experience?

I have been getting a lot of spam lately on my blog from servers located in Seoul, South Korea. It's not spam in the tradition sense as unwanted advertising but one liners. They don't get posted as I delete them as spam but it is a PITA. Anyone else have or had a similar experience?

Thomas

Re: Spam

I prefer my spam fried with potatoes and eggs, good deli rye toast with marmalade.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Les

I got something from Russia (as it appeared) the other day, but erased it prior to opening. Tag it as spam.
    All good.
    Les

Yes - the latest trick seems to be to send out a message that says something like 'click here to be removed from our mailing list', or 'click here to confirm unsubscript'.

Never click anything like this - just delete it.

I put this in the same category as the 3-4 phone calls per day from either a political organization, or someone offering me a free vacation in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Yes - the latest trick seems to be to send out a message that says something like 'click here to be removed from our mailing list', or 'click here to confirm unsubscript'.

Never click anything like this - just delete it.

I put this in the same category as the 3-4 phone calls per day from either a political organization, or someone offering me a free vacation in Florida.
    Louie, you are talking about e-mails, right? I am ignoring everything from senders I don't know or adresses which make themselves look like offical accounts from paypal, amazon etc. when I know I didn't buy anything online etc.

But tgtaylor was actually talking about spam in the comments of your blog, right? Well it's good that you are not publishing them automatically. I think you can ban certain IPs. Maybe it will help, if you say they are all coming from Seoul.

Re: Have been getting more spam on my blog - what's your experience?

If using wordpress try the wordfence plugin. you can set throttles/IP block for too many comments in a short time and it lets you see all the invalid login attempts.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography