Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

Friends, apologies for this ramble, maybe I just need to sort some thougts, so I take advantage of this group therapy... )

I've been away from the forum for some time, being waay too busy with other things (job+publishing business+family+academia) but in all this I have rather painfully realized how much do I miss photography and te joys (and pains) of it. It isn't that I did not touch a camera in months, I did take now and than something "small" (that is, medium) with me on business or family trips, but it was usually just a TLR or my fuji rangefinder. After developing the rolls (often months after shooting them) I have sometimes realized that many of those negatives should not have been taken and were result of just some impatient urge to bring home a negative, so to speak...

In recent weeks I have slowly started to prescribe myself a "tripod cure" - "anchor" myself again and restrict to (at least) a 4x5 pinhole which makes me much more selective, and seeing the first result I am contemplating a self-imposed "fasting" period of anything smaller than 4x5, or rather, anything with a viewfinder (which apparently makes me snappy) - and to slow down and think and maybe come home "empty-handed" but knowing that I have been honest with my eye and mind and have not pressed the shutter in vain.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I was wondering, whether anyone went trough a similar "stage" and with what results...
    Thank you for any thoughts...
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Re: Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

Just to remind you that you can take pictures with a viewfinder camera as slowly as you want and can with a LF camera. But you cannot take pictures as conveniently and quickly with a LF camera as you can with your viewfinder camera.
    In other words you don't need to drag a LF camera to slow yourself while picture taking. This urban myth is becoming too old.

multiplex

hi andreios
    the trick is to do what you like and like what you do
    if that is with sheets instead of rolls that's great !
    thing i like about sheets is they can be sheets of anything
    ( glass, metal, paper, plastic ) not just panchro film
    have fun!
    john

Great idea. Why not.

But at least in USA we don’t dare leave home without a cell phone which now always has a camera.

I need it in case I fall and can’t get up...

Last weekend my grandson showed me how fast he could start recording a cell phone video.

Very fast! He’s 16 and quick at everything.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Just to remind you that you can take pictures with a viewfinder camera as slowly as you want and can with a LF camera. But you cannot take pictures as conveniently and quickly with a LF camera as you can with your viewfinder camera.
    In other words you don't need to drag a LF camera to slow yourself while picture taking. This urban myth is becoming too old.
    Of course you are right... But somehow it is difficult for me "take my time" composing in a tiny view/rangefinder... Also, but of course this is only marginal, it is easier to "throw" a couple of sheets in the developer than waiting for another chance to finish a roll. Last time I developed some such rolls and to this day I have no idea where/when did I made those negatives... Silly me, I know
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    In other words you don't need to drag a LF camera to slow yourself while picture taking.
    yes, this is completely true.

But a period of intensive LF usage is always a good training. I my personal case I feel that LF teached me a lot of things, with the image upside down in the GG I learned to approach to the scene in another way.

Of course LF it is not necessary to practice that, but LF forces the photographer to develop better habits.

Another thing I found (a bit difficult to explain it) is that LF helps to get self awareness in front of the subject, so the way the photograher goes to the subject/scene experiments a development.

So IMHO a good photographer does not need to drag LF gear around to take good images, as you say, but at least for a rookie like me it forces an impressive learning.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    I have sometimes realized that many of those negatives should not have been taken and were result of just some impatient urge to bring home a negative, so to speak...
    Oh boy, that is all too recognizable...

However, consider this: what was lost as a result of your urge to take a negative home that didn't meet your expectations when you examined it? A few cents' worth of film and developer? An hour of your time? It is not a zero sum game.

I've pondered the same thing you are doing, and I'll likely keep doing so. Maybe I'll 'grow up' sometime and dedicate myself to one camera system, one film and one printing process. Maybe I'll remain an omnivore as long as I can keep it up. Who knows?

All I know is that I just do whatever I feel like. Often it's 35mm for portability, and you bet I take home many more negatives than I 'should'. Then again, for every 30 negatives that I 'should not have made', there is one that I wouldn't have made had I worked more deliberately and that does hold a worthwhile surprise for me.

For me, there is no evil in shooting a negative too many. It makes me much sadder if I fail to shoot one I should have.

Why worry about it?
    Seriously, it's just not that big a deal....whether you make a "good" negative or not, whether you use a camera or a cell phone or you just go without, it just doesn't matter.
    Just get on with it and enjoy your life, do what you like, love even....don't do what you don't want to.
    Leave your socks right where you take 'em off and fail to clean up the toast crumbs for a day...
    Just be happy and don't fret about shit that, ultimately, does not mater.

Peace.

Do what makes you happy. A few worthless 120 negs are better than a few worthless 4x5 negs FWIW, I suffer from the "have to take home a negative" syndrome at the LF level. Sometimes I need to just make an exposure to get the creative juices flowing and the eye working; then the next set-up is more aligned with my vision.

As for strictly LF... Years ago I found myself with my MF camera on a tripod, cursing at it because it had no movements. I switched to LF and never looked back. I took out my TLR for a few handheld shots about 8 years ago. There's half a roll of unexposed film in it still; never have got around to shooting the rest of it nor developing what I took.

My 4x5 field kit is light enough that I don't feel much of a disadvantage over smaller cameras and I really don't do much hand-held stuff anyway. For snapshots I always have my iPhone...

Best,

Doremus

Sounds like using the MF camera has kept your wheels turning. That has been the case with me many times. For example, when I was a stay-at-home dad to a new set of triplet boys, time for LF photography was seriously curtailed, as well as any darkroom work. However I found that a Polaroid SX-70 camera and film kept me thinking photographically...and in a challenging and rewarding way. At least until the boys started to crawl and would no longer stay in one place long enough! Eventually, the Rolleiflex and the 8x10 could be used to and the boys could accompany me into the redwoods and become part of my photographic work.

Going with just LF for awhile is a great idea, if it keeps you centered that is a wonderful benefit -- but keep film in the MF cameras!

After 40 years of LF work and being thoughtful/selective before and after setting the camera up, my 'keeper' rate is not too bad. At the same time, I do not use a high rate to judge my success. If my keeper rate was very high, I would suspect myself of making too many safe images...not taking enough chances...not pushing forward.

Go for it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABCBoysFirst.jpg   ABCM.jpg   Synchronized Swimming.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China