Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

Re: Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3vW1kglEnk

Jim Brandenburg did not use a Large Format camera but I believe his journey can help with your clarifying what is important to you.
    I attended a show of Brandeburg's journey, and our university hung the same images on our second floor, where I worked, so I know them.

My first reflexive though was 'bull, those are highly selective images from many more', then after a long time it occurred to me that his vision is real. Why question brilliance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I attended a show of Brandeburg's journey, and our university hung the same images on our second floor, where I worked, so I know them.

My first reflexive though was 'bull, those are highly selective images from many more', then after a long time it occurred to me that his vision is real. Why question brilliance?
    Will agree here.

I go out with my Uncle and we come back with some images. I photograph what I see - he photographs what he "feels" and generally a lot fewer exposures than I do. He is not hunting with exposure. He is a lot more careful with composition - even with fast moving subject matter. I think that comes from his shooting pro sports for so long as well as newspaper work. In addition he somehow "has it" where I'm often still looking for a composition.

One thing I have learned from him and his friends like Tillman Crane and Chuck Kimmerle is that there are great images where we live. Have had the hardest time through the years thinking I'll go somewhere else and come up with killer photos. Now I know if it can't do it at home I won't do it on the road. I'll just get photos of different scenery, terrain, towns and people. Not better, just the same old stuff in a different location.

Hope our topic starter finds what he is looking for. His own images, done his way and pleasure in the journey.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

totally agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    yes, this is completely true.

But a period of intensive LF usage is always a good training. I my personal case I feel that LF teached me a lot of things, with the image upside down in the GG I learned to approach to the scene in another way.

Of course LF it is not necessary to practice that, but LF forces the photographer to develop better habits.

Another thing I found (a bit difficult to explain it) is that LF helps to get self awareness in front of the subject, so the way the photograher goes to the subject/scene experiments a development.

So IMHO a good photographer does not need to drag LF gear around to take good images, as you say, but at least for a rookie like me it forces an impressive learning.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thank you friends for all your thougths and encouragement...

And thanks for the Brandenburg link - I never heard of him, I'll watch the film tonigt.

There was a mention about discipline as something that is too confining - of course it is a matter of personal "setting" so to speak, but generally, I do value "discipline" in many other areas of life in general and I do think that "correctly" or "reasonably" used discipline is able to bring a lot of (inner) freedom...
    So in this way, as Pere mentioned, the LF is not a goal in itself, but only a means to stronger awareness / steeper learning curve
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

For those who can not watch an hour of Jim, here is my important takeaway.

Move the tripod during the shot!

This is great. 30 seconds https://youtu.be/Y3vW1kglEnk?t=2006
    Tin Can

Took a look at your site, and the subjects you see and shoot, as well as the alternative process beautiful work lend themselves to LF, so keep doing what you are doing...

But for a wide range of photographs, different formats/media are your friend, too... If you went to a birthday party and needed a selfie with the cake to send out that minute, your LF process would not be the tool for the job, so you would decide what is better for the shooting on hand... (But I can't imagine you trying to shoot what you do with a cameraphone, so continue doing what you are doing!!!

Steve K