Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    43

    Question Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    Interesting quandary: I just bought a Deardorff V8x10. The camera works fine but I noticed a slight separation of one of the four wooden sections. You can see it in the attached photo. It's not loose and almost seems like it came out of the factory like this. Not sure how it could have happened.

    Would it be a complex repair? If I wanted to fix it, how would I go about doing it?

    Thanks!

    John

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deardorff4.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	181032

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Madisonville, LA
    Posts
    2,248

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    If you can either send it back I would, nor if not, you might want to use something like Superglue to hold it together if the separation is not too wide.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    326

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    If you choose to keep it, I recommend contacting Richard Ritter about a repair. He will do it right, and that will help the camera keep its value.

    Keith

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    43

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    If you can either send it back I would, nor if not, you might want to use something like Superglue to hold it together if the separation is not too wide.
    It's not coming apart at all. It is rock solid in that position

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by vssoutlet View Post
    Interesting quandary: I just bought a Deardorff V8x10. The camera works fine but I noticed a slight separation of one of the four wooden sections. You can see it in the attached photo. It's not loose and almost seems like it came out of the factory like this. Not sure how it could have happened.

    Would it be a complex repair? If I wanted to fix it, how would I go about doing it?

    Thanks!

    John

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deardorff4.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	181032
    If the camera functions properly I would use it. Your's has the big metal plate that will hold everything together. I have a pre war V8, doesn't have the big cast aluminum plate. These are definitely worthy of having a professional repair if needed. Such extraordinary workmanship and materials.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    I don't have mine handy but I think mine has a very minor separation as well, I think it's dry/humid cycles and mine being nearly 80 years old. I have done nothing but clean and use a bit of wax on the wood. It's getting hard to find one with it's original finish.

  7. #7

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    Leave it along. It is a very common problem with this type of base construction. You live in area of the country that see a lot of weather change from high humidity to low. This effects the wood.

    Over the spam of a year the width of the separation will change. From not being there to being wide. As long as the camera keeps working don't worry about it.

    Some will tell you to pack it with epoxy or some type of glue don't. You will only make the problem worst over time. And if you use the right type of glue you will make the part unrepairable.

    It cost a lot to repair and takes up to a year to do the repair right.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,404

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by vssoutlet View Post
    It's not coming apart at all. It is rock solid in that position
    Use it and forget repair. I have a 5x7 Deardorff with One of the joints separated. I have owned it for about 40 years and it has never caused a problem. The separation is the same as it was when I bought the camera.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    1,371

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Leave it along. It is a very common problem with this type of base construction. You live in area of the country that see a lot of weather change from high humidity to low. This effects the wood.

    Over the spam of a year the width of the separation will change. From not being there to being wide. As long as the camera keeps working don't worry about it.

    Some will tell you to pack it with epoxy or some type of glue don't. You will only make the problem worst over time. And if you use the right type of glue you will make the part unrepairable.

    It cost a lot to repair and takes up to a year to do the repair right.
    whew... and I was about to suggest gorilla glue too

  10. #10
    Eric Woodbury
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

    I would have been in the 'fill-it-with-epoxy' camp, but that sounds wrong from RR. Since weather changes are its enemy, it should be sealed in some fashion. I'd put a dab of GOOP in there. (Plumpers, Shoe, or whatever flavor you have, they are all the same.) It's a good sealer, sticks to everything, and it's elastic so it won't put any undue stress or strain on the part. Also, if it needs further repair, it removes easily as it does not migrate. Better than RTV since no acid as it dries. YMMV.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2016, 11:15
  2. Deardorff Bed Plate Repair
    By David Lobato in forum LF DIY (Do It Yourself)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2016, 17:33
  3. Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair
    By Douglas Henderson in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2011, 10:13
  4. Deardorff 4x5 Reducing Back Repair?
    By Brandon Draper in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1-Jan-2009, 12:15
  5. Deardorff repair service
    By Hans Berkhout in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2000, 01:53

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •