Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

Hi Folks,

I go hiking with my Chamonix 045n-2 and want to lighten my load. I have fairly light camping kit/boots and to reduce weight any further probably means reducing the weight of my tripod.

I currently use a Manfrotto 055MF4, that weights 2Kg, purchased back in 2008. It has a payload of 7Kg and my head, which I don't want to change, is an Arca Swiss Z1, weighing 600g. My heaviest lens is a 90mm f6.8, so I guess the weight of the camera + heaviest lens + head is around 3 kg. Pretty close to probably what is a "safe" limit?

I'm thinking of a Gitzo 2545T, weighing 1.3 Kg, with 12 Kg payload. Hell of a cost to save 700g, around £1/g!!

My question is whether moving to such a light tripod might take away some stability? Could it end up "top-heavy" and more susceptible to wind/topple over. I do all I can to try to prevent this anyhow, in terms of using my slight frame to act as a windshield, but whn your head is in the "hood" that's not always so easy!!

Anyone know if you can attach spiked feet to that particular model? Also, without raising the centre column, max height is 134 cm. Probably OK, but how stable is it to raise that column. I've always though it's generally a useless tool if you want stability.

I had a Feisol before the Manfrotto and never liked it - legs not firm at all. Have they improved much? Is the Feisol Tournament 3442 OK with a light wooden field camera?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Graham

Re: Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

For hiking with my Chamonix Whole Plate camera I use a BENRO carbon fiber TAD28C Adventure tripod. Made a set of spikes for it that are easily interchanged with the stock rubber ends but rarely use them. Normally use a Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W head that has been adapted to take a Kessler Crane Kwik Release Receiver, but lots of times to save weight I use an Oben BE-126 head which also has been adapted to take a Kessler Crane Kwik Release Receiver. The Oben head really looks to be too small to solidly hold my Chamonix Whole Plate camera on it, but I've many times used it to hold my 8x10 Chamonix and it just plane works. Also lots of times attach a typical plastic "grocery bag" to the bottom of the column and fill it with rocks to more stabilize the whole setup. If setting up the tripod in or near a stream, fill the bag with water (or ice in the winter) instead of rocks. Started off by attaching my backpack to the bottom of the center column, but soon realized that because of its size and bulk, I would end up accidently kicking it, plus was a pain to remove my meter, film holders, or whatever from it.

Generally a center column is not very stable. Novoflex makes a tripod that seems to match the heavier 2 series Gitzo such as the GT2532 but gets up to eye level without a center column. You can get the tripod with the "Triobalance" leveling head. They are expensive at about $1K but for large format the built-in leveling head would quite likely be all you need.

A 3 series Gitzo without the center column such as the GT3543LS only weighs about 4.5 lbs and would be much more stable than the GT2545T.

I use a GT1544T with my mirrorless SLR and love it's light weight but the camera has superb vibration compensation so the tripod doesn't need to be super stable. I wouldn't even try it with a large format camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    Generally a center column is not very stable. Novoflex makes a tripod that seems to match the heavier 2 series Gitzo such as the GT2532 but gets up to eye level without a center column. You can get the tripod with the "Triobalance" leveling head. They are expensive at about $1K but for large format the built-in leveling head would quite likely be all you need.
    The Novoflex TrioBalance 3, 4, or 5 - Section Carbon Fiber Tripods are among the best that I have ever handled. If you're serious about obtaining one, just make sure that you check out what the tripod's maximum height is when all the legs are extended... the one I looked at was just shy of my average working height, so had to pass up on getting it. Price is right up there, but they are a good example of the adage "you get what you pay for".

Thanks Greg and Jeff.

I've not heard of Novoflex. Are they pretty stable and not gimmicky?

Cheers

Graham

I have a Chamonix 45N-2, about 1,550 grams, and I mount it on a Photo-Clam PT024 carbon fiber tripod. Tripod spec sheet says it weighs 0.8 kg, and its max load capacity is given as 6 kg. I use it with Photo-Clam's "Professional Ballhead," which (I think) is model PC-44NS, no longer available.

My experience is that stability has to be managed carefully with this set-up. By managed, I mean using extreme care that all moveable parts of the camera and tripod are tightened. I often use a sack to attach to the hook at the base of the center column, and fill it with whatever is handy to lower the center of gravity and increase stability. On some shoots I will wait for a breeze or worse to lessen before tripping the shutter.

The reason I went this way is that I am 73 years old, and even with a light camera and lighter tripod, my whole kit (300, 210, 150, 90) weighs 18 lb (~8.2 kg), and on most days, that's enough. Formerly I used a small steel Bogen tripod, and it was too heavy.

One advantage of the Photo-Clam PT024 is that it is extremely compact when folded up; I shove the center column to its max (upper) extension, and fold back the legs so that the tips are lying against the ball head. Better seen than described!

I am happy with this set-up. I hope this information is helpful.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I have an old Velbon Carmagne 640 4-section carbon fiber tripod. It doesn't quite extend to eye level unless I use the center column. I will never use a center column due to vibration issues. It was more than sturdy enough for the Chamonix 4x5 I had. If I needed more height I would have taken an 8-foot ladder and a clamp to attach the head/camera to the ladder. Of course using the ladder would require working within a few yards from my old pickup truck.

Drew Wiley

Get rid of the head. That's where a lot of unnecessary weight and instability are found. I haven't used a tripod with LF camera for decades - totally redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Get rid of the head. That's where a lot of unnecessary weight and instability are found. I haven't used a tripod with LF camera for decades - totally redundant.
    You haven’t used a tripod?

Drew, please re-read and re-phrase. If you mean getting rid of the n-way head or 2-way head, please elaborate!
    Thanks!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."