Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Trains

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Washougal, Washington
    Posts
    536

    Re: Trains

    Baldwin 2-8-8-4 "Yellowstone" Locomotive.

    Operated by the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway (DM&IR). Proctor, Minnesota.
    These M-4 class engines are considered to be the largest, most powerful steam locomotives ever built (1943).
    This photo shows only the rear drivers, I could not place the camera so as to include the entire engine on one sheet of film.

    . . Baldwin "Yellowstone" Locomotive. by Reinhold S., on Flickr

    Neg# RR 859. Canham 8x20" camera, 210mm XL lens, HP5 film. 2001

    Reinhold

    www.ClassicBWphoto.com
    www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

  2. #22
    8x10, 5x7, 4x5, et al Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    5,438

    Re: Trains

    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    Baldwin 2-8-8-4 "Yellowstone" Locomotive.
    ...
    This photo shows only the rear drivers, I could not place the camera so as to include the entire engine on one sheet of film.
    Very nice, Reinhold.

    How about using a (much) wider lens? I would love to see the whole locomotive.

    - Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

  3. #23
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Trains

    Crooks, South Dakota

    I've been running around taking photos of empty tracks on gloomy days lately. Mostly I'm after the feel of fading small towns. Chamonix 045n, Rodenstock 135mm f5.6, FP4.


    Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CrooksM.jpg  
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

  4. #24

    Re: Trains

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Very nice, Reinhold.

    How about using a (much) wider lens? I would love to see the whole locomotive.

    - Leigh
    Not sure any other optic of a shorter focal length than 210mm will cover 8x20. Maybe the best option is a stitched scanned two shot process to get the whole locomotive in the image area.

  5. #25
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Trains

    I had the thought of stitching until I remembered this was 8x20. It would be a huge file to start with! I shoot a lot of trains (obviously) and I would have simply photo'd one set of drivers. Everyone will have their own approach, of course.


    Kent in SD
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

  6. #26
    8x10, 5x7, 4x5, et al Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    5,438

    Re: Trains

    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I would have simply photo'd one set of drivers.
    Hi Kent,

    From the online descriptions of the Yosemite locomotive, the front driver set pivots to accommodate track curvature, so the front and rear driver sets are not identical.

    - Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Washougal, Washington
    Posts
    536

    Re: Trains

    As Michael says, 210mm on 8x20 is about as wide as one can get.
    I used the awesome 210mm Super Symmar XL, but the confining placement of the loco forced me to choose which segment to photograph.
    Kent's suggestion of stitching two shots (cab end and cowcatcher end) didn't occur to me. (grrrr).
    An 8x40 contact print... maybe include the tender... hmmmmm.

    Reinhold

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Posts
    384

    Re: Trains

    2018-10-28 Голландия011-01web by Yuriy Sanin, on Flickr
    Netherlands, Nagaoka 4x5, Congo 90/6.3@32, Kodak E100

  9. #29
    Steven Ruttenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    2,295

    Re: Trains

    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    Baldwin 2-8-8-4 "Yellowstone" Locomotive.

    Operated by the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway (DM&IR). Proctor, Minnesota.
    These M-4 class engines are considered to be the largest, most powerful steam locomotives ever built (1943).
    This photo shows only the rear drivers, I could not place the camera so as to include the entire engine on one sheet of film.

    . . Baldwin "Yellowstone" Locomotive. by Reinhold S., on Flickr

    Neg# RR 859. Canham 8x20" camera, 210mm XL lens, HP5 film. 2001

    Reinhold

    www.ClassicBWphoto.com
    www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    Nice!

  10. #30
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Trains

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Kent,

    From the online descriptions of the Yosemite locomotive, the front driver set pivots to accommodate track curvature, so the front and rear driver sets are not identical.

    - Leigh
    Yes. I've seen the engine number of times now.


    Kent in SD
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

Similar Threads

  1. Cars, Boats, Trains, Planes
    By Reinhold Schable in forum Image Sharing (Everything Else) & Discussion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 1-Apr-2020, 14:07
  2. Post your (LF) trains!
    By SamReeves in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 464
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2017, 00:28
  3. Georgetown Loop Photo Trains
    By gleaf in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2013, 13:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •