Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives To Grain Focusing Loupe?

Alternatives To Grain Focusing Loupe?

I am looking for an alternative to a grain focusing loupe when making my enlargements.

Any clever ideas for an alternative to the loupe?

Thanks

Larry

Re: Alternatives To Grain Focusing Loupe?

It's really no different than focusing on the ground glass.
    If you want a nice sharp image without laying your face right on the paper you should be able to use a nice more powerful magnifying glass or loop.
    Pick some key points like the spokes on a bicycle or shingles on a roof and focus until they are sharp.

One issue that we often run into is we just don't have any visible grain in our work, so nothing for a grain focuser to pick up on.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I am looking for an alternative to a grain focusing loupe when making my enlargements.
    The only thing better than a grain focus scope is two grain scopes. Use the one that is correct. Be sure to put a scrap of enlarging paper (same kind you are printing on) under the base.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post

Any clever ideas for an alternative to the loupe?

Thanks

Larry
    Hey Larry which focusing device do you use? Because If your not using a Peak/Micromega Model 1 Prof Z Critical focusing device Your not doing yourself any favors as the Model 1 is heads above the rest.

Here's a link to B&H page (looks as though they are not available new any longer.)
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ser_Model.html

Try a pair of +4 or even +5 reading glasses and lean in really close on the projected image.

I have a spare Magnasight grain focuser that you can view from a fairly long distance, with both eyes open, that might be easier than the typical grain focusers - let me know if any interest.

Before eye surgery, I was using 3 different grain focusers on each print. PeaK, Magna and something tiny. It can be tough for less than perfect eyes.

Next week I will be trying everything mentioned in this thread including high power magnifiers and condensers.

Maybe I need something custom...

Now I'm off to the Big Box Home store where I can't see anything under those horrible lights.

Need some enlarger parts and a hoist!
    Tin Can

I find the right tool to be a blessing and a focus magnifier is the right tool.

The ones made by Paterson are good and inexpensive (two heights) there are plenty of others on ebay.

The "rollsroyce" of focus magnifiers is the adjustable model originally made by PEAK of Japan and sold until very recently, this model was also made by PEAK for the American brand Omega as the MICROMEGA focus magnifier, sometimes these can be found at pleaces like ebay.com for much less than the PEAK original, the are identical in every respect, I own both. The mirrors can get worn (first surface very vulnerable) so look for one with a good mirror, they may be hard to find now.

One of the advantages of the "PEAK" type is that it works all over the baseboard which allows corner focus to be checked, most of the fixed and inexpensive focusers operate only in the center.

PS many of these devices include adjustment for individual eyesight variations and this adjustment should be made before use.

Wild idea: iPhone has a magnifier app. Probably Androids do too. You can probably make a stand or something to hold it steady and check out the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by nmp View Post
    Wild idea: iPhone has a magnifier app. Probably Androids do too. You can probably make a stand or something to hold it steady and check out the focus.
    How would you make it adjust to show the focus at the paper position?