Thread: Article on hybrid workflow for 4x5

Article on hybrid workflow for 4x5

Here's an article I've written for Graflex Journal on black and white portraiture with a Crown Graphic with details on scanning with a flatbed. Perhaps it's of some use to readers of this forum.

http://www.graflex.org/journal/journal-2018-02.pdf

Re: Article on hybrid workflow for 4x5

Thank you for sharing this article. I found the section detailing your setup for the flatbed scanner particularly interesting. I'm in the process of familiarizing myself with my scanner and optimizing its performance. Your article will likely save me quite a bit of time and headaches.

David Schaller

Thanks for sharing this. Nicely done. I’ve saved it for future reference, as I’ve never done more than quick and dirty scans, and at some point I need to start getting serious.

Good article. Thank you.

I need to adopt a flash handle similarily for SB800.

I also scan with AN above.

Love the 1940 ID camera image, I should have got one when I could. The stand is wonderful.
    Tin Can

Thanks for the article.

I am still using the V500 and stitching in photoshop. I am also scanning at 2400ppi but since I have two images being joined in photoshop I am ending up with a larger final file.

I did quite a bit of playing around early on trying to find the ideal scanning height for my negatives. I stacked coins on the platen and then enlarged the resulting image to find the sharpest height. In my case it turned out that laying the negative directly on the scanner glass, or very slightly above it, gave the best results.

I also contact print in my 2nd bathroom and then scan the contact prints on my V500. This allows me to shoot up to 8x10 and print the results without needing a full darkroom or an 8x10 enlarger. I will say though that scanning an 8x10 print at 2400 ppi does take some time and spotting the result can take me quite awhile.

Scanning and printing large format has enabled me to continue to enjoy these wonderful cameras and the amazing results they can provide.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Thanks for the interest in the article and your information about scanning contact prints.

When you were experimenting with height by stacking coins, were you scanning the coins themselves reflectively or scanning negatives propped up on the coins using the transmission unit in the lid? It makes a difference because when scanning reflectively, the V750 (and probably the V500, but not 100% sure) uses a different optical system and the optimal height is indeed right at the platen or close to that for my V750 in reflective mode, but distinctly much higher for transmissive materials.

Regarding scanning of contact prints, do you have to use non-glossy paper? I don't have a lot of experience scanning prints, but I have had Newton ring problems when scanning high-gloss (Fuji Instax) prints placed right on the platen. Consequently, I have resorted to taping these prints to the underside of a rigid sheet and suspending it 1mm or so above the platen. I have not had issues when scanning lustre or matte prints. But if your contact prints are on lustre or matte paper, I would question if it's overkill to set 2400ppi scanning resolution due to the texture of the paper limiting the achievable resolution. I usually scan prints at 800-1200ppi, but most of my experience is with instant prints which are never all that sharp anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Thanks for the article.

I am still using the V500 and stitching in photoshop. I am also scanning at 2400ppi but since I have two images being joined in photoshop I am ending up with a larger final file.

I did quite a bit of playing around early on trying to find the ideal scanning height for my negatives. I stacked coins on the platen and then enlarged the resulting image to find the sharpest height. In my case it turned out that laying the negative directly on the scanner glass, or very slightly above it, gave the best results.

I also contact print in my 2nd bathroom and then scan the contact prints on my V500. This allows me to shoot up to 8x10 and print the results without needing a full darkroom or an 8x10 enlarger. I will say though that scanning an 8x10 print at 2400 ppi does take some time and spotting the result can take me quite awhile.

Scanning and printing large format has enabled me to continue to enjoy these wonderful cameras and the amazing results they can provide.

I initially used the coins to determine where I needed locate the prints for scanning, not the negative. However, it turned out that my 4x5 negatives also seem to scan quite well right off the platen. Good enough to print to 13x19 at any rate.

There is probably better paper to use but I contact print anything I want to scan to Ilford MG IV RC Deluxe Glossy. So far it works quite well and I am getting some nice clear scans. As for scanning at 2400 ppi being overkill, it likely is but memory is cheap. So far I haven't printed any of this very large, though it would be interesting to try.

Eventually I would like to move up to a larger flat bed scanner, one that can handle 8x10 negatives, but for now I find it quite amazing what can be done with a little creativity on the older, smaller units.
    I don't have any of these scans available on my laptop but I'll try to remember to pull one off my desktop at home and post an example here.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I'm lucky (I think)-- my scans on my V700 are sharp using the Epson film holders. Either that, or they're not sharp, and I need to get my glasses checked.

Yes, I too use my epson v800 scanner for all of my photo imaging. I bought up all of the photographic paper I could lay my hands on a few years ago, as it was going really cheap, due to people leaving the old ways for the new digital revolution. The only thing I use that paper for now is a final support for carbon printing. I use an epson p800 printer to print hard copies and digital negatives.