Thread: Tips and advice for a young(ish) Photographer on getting into HAL/HAER/HALS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tips and advice for a young(ish) Photographer on getting into HABS/HAER/HALS

I'm 33 and looking for any and all ways that I can make a little bit of money with photography while I continue my education. I recently moved to Los Angeles from Austin, Texas to complete BFA in photography at CALARTS, where I have one year left before I continue to move onto a masters program somewhere.

When I read a recent thread here about HABS/HAER/HALS photography it really sparked my interest and inspired me. I have a huge passion for working in black and white and over the years have used various large format systems. I realize that I would definitely have a learning curve to get started, between the actual taking of the image, through the processing, through the labeling etc. All of this is the kind of think I enjoy doing and reading about. I also realize that it would probably take some years to make it viable and even then it would probably only be a supplemental income. I'm willing to start now putting in the time and effort in order for it to be something that I can make some money on in the future, of course realizing it is probably never that lucrative.

So, I would love to hear from the community here any advice. How can one even get started in this field? Do you just submit images? Basically how do I build the connections necessary. Do you make at least some money? I'm sure I'll come up with more questions a long the way, but I feel that's a good starting point!

Thanks in advance for your help, I don't believe I've posted here very often but I lurk here a lot and truly value this community.

You can see my website here: www.pike.photo and my recent LA work here http://www.pike.photo/los-angeles-2018/. None of which is shot on large format or especially "documentation quality" but just thought I'd post some work to add to the conversation.

Best,
    John
    Last edited by Mexipike; 24-Jul-2018 at 10:29.