Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips and advice for a young(ish) Photographer on getting into HAL/HAER/HALS

Re: Tips and advice for a young(ish) Photographer on getting into HAL/HAER/HALS

John,

Yes, now all HP5+ here. Test and calibrate. Available locally here, so it has become my "go-to" film. I shoot 4x5.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Yes I'm also using HP-5 in 25 and 100 sheet boxes for 4x5 and 25 sheet boxes for 5x7.
    I have used T-max and TRI-X 320 but in D-76 (Clayton C-76) developer I got better results with the HP5. Less mottling in the sky, and lower contrast which was better for my workflow.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

A good reference book. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49476324_2239375529430437_963558668563906560_o.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	198626

Thanks! I checked it out from the library a while back. It really is a great book.

John, since I just posted a new HABS thread, I was looking through the old ones. Is that you at DT?
    -Schaf

multiplex

the best advice I can give you is to get yourself a good dictionary of engineering, architectural, planning and "historic" terminology and learn how to do site research using Sandborn Insurance Maps. the "lingo" from the dictionary &c will help you navigate the descriptions, and the sandborn maps will help you decipher what the site "was" if that's not how it still "is". the insurance maps are invaluable because they show the whole site, building materials, foot prints &c. usually when one is asked to do HABS/HAER work there are remnants of the "feature system" ( how the site works ) that the photographer might have to hunt around for. oh, you should also poke around the society of industrial archaeology website for HAER related, there might be a similar website for architectural historians that you might benefit from to do HABS type work ... good luck, and enjoy the go.
    Last edited by jnantz; 1-Jan-2024 at 13:18. Reason: edited out fluff