Re: Approaches to the rain

I like Ebony's solution:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 1.06.28 PM.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	180870

So over the years have owned several VW vans: '71 Weekender, '91 Carat, and a ''05 Eurovan. All had side pull out awnings over the side door which well protected me and my equipment from liquid or frozen elements. If it was chilly or cold outside, almost always brewed up some hot tea. Only catch was that after I rolled up the awning, on the next dry day would have to roll it out to dry. Had no hesitation to take the '71 Weekender off road. Less so with the '91 and the '05. But now have a small SUV. As tgtaylor had posted on this thread, I now most of the time use a Pentax 67II. Never had a problem with the focal plane shutter "dampening" up, but loading the camera in the rain always a challenge since I don't carry an umbrella. When the weather gets bad, use a Nikon D850 with its 24-120mm lens, and make digital negatives to print from. Actually more and more am using the D850 and making (calibrated) digital negatives to print from... end cost of materials for Platinum/Palladium prints drastically reduced then from printing from original negatives. So when it's really, really bad out here, have resorted to just take out my Nikonos with it's 35mm lens, then scan and make digital negatives to print Platinum/Palladium from.

Drew Wiley

The biggest yet actually minor problem with the P67 system is that it's easy to get condensation between the focus screen and the removable pentaprism. I just keep a bit of removable masking tape around and tape the rear of the gap. The factory gasketing isn't always sufficient, and your own breath is what can fog it in damp weather. In really cold weather, it's more important than ever to have a warm spare battery. I do own a remote battery cable, but have never used it. The P67 is a famously rugged reliable system. If normal-wide shots are in order, I find my Fuji "Texas Leica" rangefinder more appropriate. It's done just fine in wet weather or soggy blizzards too, and is light enough to sometimes accompany a view camera. I took it for a hundred mile hike last fall which included a lot of cold wet weather of every description. For mere dayhikes I also carry a little holster-like belt pouch and matching size stainless thermos for either hot coffee or cold water on warm days. If you have a compendium shade and some velcro, it's easy to rig up a rain cover analogous to Ebony's. Otherwise, you could sew in a bit of flexible hoop material for the front.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their thoughtful contributions. I have a Pentax 67ii which I use several times a week and my digital system is Nikon D810. I just thought it was funny that the alt shooting tools mentioned were what I happen to own and use. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What on earth do you clamp it to? Hopefully not the tripod ! The bellows already have enough wind resistance to shake an exposure without something like that added. Carrying an umbrella and holding it some other way might work in a gentle rain (I've done it); but then your hands aren't really free for camera work itself, and any serious gust of wind risks everything landing in a puddle. I do lots of shooting in the rain and worse, and already outlined my strategy using a big Goretex darkcloth supplemented with velcro tabs and simple clothespins (never corner weights !!!). But one of those new oversized backpacking ponchos might indeed do the trick. I haven't carried a poncho since I was young. But they were once standard gear in the mountains and doubled as an emergency mini-tent.
    I do clamp it right to the tripod, though I don't shoot in heavy wind with rain. In a calm rain (straight down) it works wonders if you have a heavy tripod.

If the tripod clamp had a quick-release mechanism...one could simply unclamp and hold the umbrella above the camera during the actual exposure - thus isolating the camera from any umbrella-induced vibrations at the most critical point in time.

I just stay inside and do something else.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

45er

An XXL Exped dry bag fits very well over the 4x5 when the camera is on a tripod, fastens through the legs and is so light (124g) you won't notice it.

I always carry a black one for intermittent showers or in case my pack gets waterlogged.

It has also come in handy when crossing a deep river and provided good protection from airborne sand.

Takes seconds to put on or take off whilst being the right size to cover the important bits.

For under £15 it has to be one of the best bits of outdoor kit I have ever bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleiny41 View Post
    I am curious to hear from you all what your philosophy/conduct is when approaching shooting large format cameras and rain. I ask as DC has about 7 to 10 days of rain in the forecast. I am curious as to people handle a rainy forecast. Do you not shoot outside? Does it matter if bellows get wet? (I would guess that yes it matters). I tend to shoot outdoors, gardens, florals etc. I’m curious how others approach rain.
    In that type of shooting condition, I carefully place my camera bag under my chair at a nice restaurant, then enjoy good food and drink while surrounded by my loving family. A fire in the fireplace helps. If there is convenient the camera bag first goes into the car trunk or my hotel room.

At this point in my life, I have spent plenty of time out in the cold rain for pne or another employer. I have had about as much of that kind of fun as I can stand.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!