Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Approaches to the rain

Approaches to the rain

I am curious to hear from you all what your philosophy/conduct is when approaching shooting large format cameras and rain. I ask as DC has about 7 to 10 days of rain in the forecast. I am curious as to people handle a rainy forecast. Do you not shoot outside? Does it matter if bellows get wet? (I would guess that yes it matters). I tend to shoot outdoors, gardens, florals etc. I’m curious how others approach rain.

Re: Approaches to the rain

Some of my favorite photos have been made either while it was raining or shortly before or after—I like the quality of the light. I do keep the camera dry, and use a Harrison dark cloth that is adequate protection from light precipitation. It can also be over the camera to form a hood that will keep rain off the lens. Often there is shelter of some sort near where I am working, or if not, even if it is raining, the rain is often not constant and I have photographed when the rain took a break. You can always carry a large umbrella, although I have never tried that.

I urge you to try it—large format is not just for sunny days.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I agree that just before or after the rain can make for some very dramatic skies and intriguing lighting. I’m too afraid to take my camera out into the rain, but I’m not too afraid to sit in my car and watch for breaks in the storm on my weather radar app. And it’s not just the water that scares me, but the strong gusts of wind and lightning that usually accompany it in my area.

While a light steady rain without (or at least minimal) wind...I generally find it relatively easy to keep the camera dry. Sometimes I'll butcher a black contractor bag - making a slit along one seamed edge and continuing this along the bottom edge...creating a "tent" which can cover the camera, extending forward enough to cover the lens and back far enough to form a reasonable "dark cloth," while still allowing enough access to camera controls.

The problem I have in the above situation relates to film holder logistics - getting the holder out of its ziplock and into the camera back in a completely dry state. If I can either manage to strap a "cascade" film case underneath the cover of the above-mentioned contractor bag tent, then I can usually effect a safe transfer of a holder into the camera back. But even a light breeze can make this difficult.

I do have a project currently in progress...which if and when completed will allow a large "golf" umbrella to be mounted to a tripod leg, on an assembly which swivels for some adjustability - offers good protection/coverage while allowing great access to all camera controls...and should make film holder logistics a bit more reliable. But again...a light breeze would make this ineffective - although...aha! A quick release mechanism to allow me to detach and hold the umbrella above the camera without actually making contact, during the actual exposure...problem solved! Will get to work on this!

The 8x10 'dorff does not appreciate the rain, however the 5x7 Speeder takes to it like a duck to water.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Keeping the camera dry is not too hard, but the big problem I have faced is that when removing a holder from a dry environment to shooting in damp air, is the emulsion can buckle until the film absorbs the moisture evenly... This can result in OOF patches when developed... Different films and formats respond differently...A good procedure is before final focusing to put holder into dark camera, pull and reinsert the slide to allow the air contact with the film at least a few minutes ( or longer) to reach moisture equilibrium... This usually works... The same problem can also exist when bringing holders from a damp environment to inside air, but this can take longer for the to redry... Like I said, different formats/films respond differently and create different tensions on the film flatness, what was odd for me was 4x5 was much less affected by this, but my 6X9 sheet film was affected a lot...

Another factor to consider is during the rain, lighting contrasts are very low producing flat results, but when there is no rain between the lens + subject it is much better, so wait between the rain falling, but as mentioned it can get quite gusty with the wind...

BTW, 35mm will hold the film flattest during weather events...

Stay dry, but have fun!!!

Steve K

Thank you to all for sharing your perspectives!! I really do appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

When its raining I switch to the big Pentax 67II if I want a big negative. I have a raincoat for that camera that protects the camera body from water up to the front element of the lens which I keep protected with a UV filter until the moment before I release the shutter. LF is more doable under snowy conditions but as with rainy conditions, wind may be a limiting factor which the P67 more readily handles. That said the focal plane shutter curtain on the 67, as in most helical focusing cameras, absorbs moisture, i.e., humidity. The first time I noticed it was during a rainy season hike in the Diablo Range. I had stopped to change rolls and noticed the shutter curtain was soaked like a wet rag. It didn't have any noticeable effect on the negatives or on the curtain when dried.

Thomas

Location depends a lot. For the first couple of hours, a light rain under the redwoods is no problem, and the air can be quite still. Occasional large drops might shake a fern at the wrong time. I like to photograph in the redwoods at this inbetween time, wonderful mid-day light. A hard rain, or after too long of a rain, the 8x10 stays in the pack and I enjoy the sights and smells. Win-win situation.

I rode a bicycle and photographed in New Zealand for 5 months or so, many years ago, 1986/87. Lightweight 4x5, one lens, 5 holders, lots of rain. But I was not on a tight schedule and was traveling solo, so plans could be easily changed due to weather, etc. I spent 4 or 5 days in Franz Josef so that I could have two days photographing around the glacier...even those days had a little rain, but it meant that there wwere waterfalls all over and the rock glowed. A couple images from there; The river just below the glacier, and a waterfall (~80 to 100 feet tall). 4x5 negs, 16x20 silver gelatin prints
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waiko River, NZ_16x20.jpg   Falls, Franz Josef Glacier, NZ_16x20.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I've deliberately gone out into heavy rain and soggy blizzards many many times with both 4x5 and 8X10 gear. I use a Goretex darkcloth and always have a good Goretex parka in my pack, all year long. But for casual walks on rainy days I often default to med format gear in a shoulder case, or sometimes even a Nikon loaded with high-speed film, kinda my poetic grainy small print alter-ego to meticulous LF imagery. For risky really wet conditions on long road trips, I'll pack into my box of supplies in the truck a little tight tupperware box containing freshly baked-out silica gel. It acts as an emergency desiccation chamber, and has saved both my own lenses and those of friends from expensive repair bills defogging them. There are a few times I've shot a view camera right below big Northwestern waterfalls. .. study the mist patterns, set up, try to focus, shield the camera from falling water with the big waterproof darkcloth, fiddle a bit at a time, and finally, at just the right moment, uncover the camera again, pop the lens cap off, and press the shutter ... then two long weeks storing that
    particular lens in the desiccation box, meanwhile substituting a different lens to work with. One valid reason to have a backup beater lens; you aren't paranoid to get it wet. Cameras themselves dry relatively quickly if necessary. I keep a big microfiber
    cloth on hand for that purpose. All my pack gear goes into plastic bags, even inside the pack itself. That can be a life and death issue in the mountains, especially with respect to clothing and sleeping bags. I've been dunked completely underwater
    pack n' all crossing swollen streams, without any of my camera gear or critical personal supplies getting wet. Boots and jeans
    full of ice-water aren't necessarily the fun you bargained for, but at times come with the territory.