Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

Wonder if he knows that Linhof made a series of Kardan cameras called Standard a few decades ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Wonder if he knows that Linhof made a series of Kardan cameras called Standard a few decades ago?
    Hey thanks for sharing the KS here! I was aware actually - I was excited to see they seemed to be using 'Standard' in the same way - to describe a no frills style camera. In my case, of course, it also refers to the company name - Standard Cameras.

I'm happy to answer questions about the project if anybody has any. I have been working on getting this far with the project for about 4 years. I've personally designed the camera from the top to the bottom.
    - Drew Nikonowicz

Reminds me a lot of my Cambo SC. Still a great idea and the price is certainly right

For now I am very, very happy wandering around Nevada and elsewhere with my Wanderlust Travelwide and my Intrepid 4x5.

I do wish that someone would pick up the Travelwide design and bring it back out. Maybe with the ability to use the Graflex Grafmatic film holder this time.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonowicz View Post
    Hey thanks for sharing the KS here! I was aware actually - I was excited to see they seemed to be using 'Standard' in the same way - to describe a no frills style camera. In my case, of course, it also refers to the company name - Standard Cameras.

I'm happy to answer questions about the project if anybody has any. I have been working on getting this far with the project for about 4 years. I've personally designed the camera from the top to the bottom.
    It wasn’t exactly a no frills camera. It had all movements on the front and back, 17” bellows extension. Fixed bellows that gave full movements with 65mm and longer lenses, full revolving back and. Rather light weight.

It kind of looks like a 3d printed Bender 4x5 in a lot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It wasn’t exactly a no frills camera. It had all movements on the front and back, 17” bellows extension. Fixed bellows that gave full movements with 65mm and longer lenses, full revolving back and. Rather light weight.
    Just to clarify, when I say no frills I mean that the design is simplified and it doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles like many Linhof cameras (e.g. the Linhof Technika, though maybe that's comparing apples to oranges...), not no frills meaning no movements/features. Though maybe I simply used the wrong words!
    - Drew Nikonowicz

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonowicz View Post
    Just to clarify, when I say no frills I mean that the design is simplified and it doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles like many Linhof cameras (e.g. the Linhof Technika, though maybe that's comparing apples to oranges...), not no frills meaning no movements/features. Though maybe I simply used the wrong words!
    Since it was a Kardan and not a Technika it was a completely different camera. It was like most Linhof Kardan cameras made since the B was introduced except its standard bellows was fixed and gave full movements from 65mm up and it would not convert to a larger format and could not use a longer rail. But it did have all movements, front and back like all Kardans from the B on. It also would not accept extension posts for additional rise. It was a fully capable camera.

Don't let the grumpy old men on here discourage you. Dream big. If it fails you learn something. If it succeeds you learn something. It's all part of life and we all need to dream big.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Don't let the grumpy old men on here discourage you. Dream big. If it fails you learn something. If it succeeds you learn something. It's all part of life and we all need to dream big.
    ^
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy