Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SMALL light meter suggestions

Foamer

SMALL light meter suggestions

I have a Minolta IVf that I love and (more importantly) trust, but now I'm looking for a very compact meter to travel with. I'm thinking of something like the Digisix, L-208, Voigtlander VC, etc. I really only need ambient metering, but reflective would be a nice addition. I definitely want to stay under $200, and more like $100. I generally prefer to buy used. What about some of the older meters--weren't many of them small? I am afraid the ones that don't take batteries will be dead or dying though. So, any suggestions? I don't have a smart phone so don't suggest an app.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: SMALL light meter suggestions

Don't forget the L-328. I got mine used for all of $20.

Digisix is small (tiny, really) and pretty robust. Matches my Minolta IVF, too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digisix.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	180574

Another vote for the Sekonic L-308

L208 is my recommendation. Smaller and lighter than you imagine if you've used old meters it replaces. It uses a lithium coin battery but it only uses power when you press the button and mine has been in the camera for a few years. The battery will probably expire of old age before it's used up.

I almost hate to say that I have a phone app for when I am travelling light, but I do.
    I have never been let down by them either.

My Sekonic L-328 (a meter I enjoyed using) suffered repeated circuit board failures. The second time Quality Light Metric told me that it was basically an incurable problem... they could replace the board (at large expense) but the same failure would re-occur. So I scrapped it. It was a small, accurate meter with a simple, elegant design, and a critical failure built-in. Not complaining, it served me well for 10-12 years. Sorry, but I can't offer any helpful ideas for a small meter.

Quantum Calcu-lite X or XP.
    Small, solid state. Can do reflected or incident. Can get as spot meter attachment as well as a ground glass reading attchment so you can meter right off the ground glass under the dark cloth if you want.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I have the little digisix and a couple of the really small Sekonic 208's

They all work well. I like the Digisix except for a couple of annoyances.

1) It's always on - no on/off switch. So the battery can and does run down quickly (if you consider 6 months or so "quickly")

2) Changing the ISO is a PITA since to go from 400 to 100 you have to button push your way past 800, 1600, 3200, ... to get there

3) Because it's always on you can "pocket dial" it when taking it out of your pocket and then you have to futz with it to get back to measurement mode as opposed to time setting mode (Who the H needs a clock in their light meter???)

Aside from all that it's a good meter (when the battery isn't run down) and it fits in your pocket better than the Sekonic.