Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SMALL light meter suggestions

Re: SMALL light meter suggestions

My biggest problem with smart phone apps in a smart phone for a light meter is that in my testing they suffer from flair a lot which skews the readings. That would be a phone problem more than the software. But I haven't tested them in awhile-probably in three years. Has that problem improved? I'm still on a Iphone 6s but I think I tested them on a 5 or maybe even a 4. It certainly appears that my 6s has less flair than my previous SPs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

SMALL light meter suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    The programmers don't even know what hardware their software is running on. They make the software and hope it works with the variety of hardware and OS options the smartphones utilize.
    As a hardware guy I think software programmers are odd people, but having worked with many embedded software engineers over the years I have to say that this is the most ignorant thing I’ve read on this site in quite some time. Once prototypes are assembled, the hardware people never see them again because the software teams will work with the hardware 15 hours a day!

A multi-billion dollar technology is not built on “hope”.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    What Daniel said. Unless you're into zone metering, this is the best value in a compact, verstatile, and reliable meter.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    As a hardware guy I think software programmers are odd people, but having worked with many embedded software engineers over the years I have to say that this is the most ignorant thing I’ve read on this site in quite some time. Once prototypes are assembled, the hardware people never see them again because the software teams will work with the hardware 15 hours a day!

A multi-billion dollar technology is not built on “hope”.
    I will certainly agree that software programmers are odd people. I went to school for computer science (WPI). We never opened up a computer or touched any hardware other than our own keyboard and mouse. Hardware was for EE people who probably became the embedded engineers.

We're not talking about tightly integrated systems here.. There are many ways programming skills are utilized in this world. We're talking about someone who makes a light meter app for his/her phone as a moonlighting job for a few extra bucks and hopes plenty of people find it in the App store or Google play. Then it gets used on more phones that the programmer never has access too or didn't exist when the app was made or last updated. If it doesn't work, the buyer is only out a couple bucks at most and life goes on. Amazingly this is fairly successful. But it's up to end users to verify apps do what we expect.