Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible smoke in Yosemite valley from Ferguson fire!

Terrible smoke in Yosemite valley from Ferguson fire!

It even obscured Half Dome for awhile the other day! HWY 140 has been closed as well.
    f you're travelling that direction I'd suggest checking on conditions first, and have a "plan B."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: Terrible smoke in Yosemite valley from Ferguson fire!

Thanks, John. I just got my truck AC fixed; but over the 4th noisy party types did some street vandalism, including slashing one of my tires, so one more thing. I borrowed one of my wife's cars, a Saturn, to go to Pt Reyes a few days ago, but won't take that to the mtns. Just want a few days in the Sonora Pass
    area to get some altitude conditioning day hiking with heavy gear prior to serious backpacking season. Two years ago, way up on the headwaters of the Lyell
    Fork of Merced River, we could see the deep red sunset smoke glow of fires many miles downstream, just above Yosemite Valley. But on the peaks of the crest, there was just enough in the air to give a subtle tinge of rare color without obscuring detail. As usual, I always make plans B,C,D,and E.

UPDATE Hwy 140 is still closed and Hwy 41 is down to one lane in Oakhurst. The smoke is so dense that the aerial tankers are reported to be grounded.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Do you know exactly where the fire is, John? Here the news is only reporting on the lightning fires north of us. I'll check the CalFire site, but it's often a day
    behind. I still know people in the area, and know all too well how dangerous all that dry tinder is.

Drew Wiley

Never mind, John ... I did look it up. It's near El Portal. My nephew lives near Bootjack south of Mariposa. But the last time there was a fire in the Merced River Canyon the helicopter crews used his large meadow as a staging area, so it was pretty disruptive.

http://abc30.com/ferguson-fire-at-40...fect-/3768876/
    It looks like Jerseydale is in harms way. Bootjack is well to the South but the smoke is everywhere, even here in the Big Raisin.
    AFAIK it hasn't jumped the Merced River yet. It's only 2% contained.

Drew Wiley

I like watching that TV show, Motion, hosted buy a guy who lives at Bass Lake. Last nite the episode was on backpacking the Lost Coast. But if I ever bump into him, I'd ask why on earth anyone is still living there. It's a deadly inferno just waiting to happen, and will take at least half of Oakhurst with it.

We just returned from Yosemite last night. We were supposed to stay three nights in Wawona but cut it short by a day due to the smoke and ash. Monday morning the entire valley was covered with smoke so bad that nothing was really visible. Tunnel View was pointless and only the lower Yosemite Falls were visible. The upper falls were only barely seen. Tuesday morning was worse, but once you hit the road heading east it cleared up considerably. Tuolomne, Tenaya Lake, and Tioga Pass were clear and the weather was beautiful.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Air quality readings are off the chart: Ozone is in the "Unhealthy" range and Particulate Matter is well in the "Hazardous" category - at least it was a couple of hours ago when I checked but PM readings are now left blank. But you can see from the webcams that it is indeed hazardous.

Thomas

My buddy Steve has a horse ranch in Mariposa and the fire crews are using his 26 acres as a base camp. I know he won't loose his ranch. His wife shared photos of their barn and flames in the background.