Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beseler 45V-XL with 8x10 Conversion Max Print Size Question

Re: Beseler 45V-XL with 8x10 Conversion Max Print Size Question

Here is a quick update on the project.

I was able to remove the enlarger from the original baseboard this morning and setup a temporary solution for mounting it to the wall. I have 8 foot ceilings, so I had to manage around that. I could technically cut a hole in the ceiling and build a recessed box to allow for a greater height, but I don't feel that is really necessary based on my findings today.

I was able to get my 30x40 and 40x50 print sizes with the 240mm lens. I am now just playing around with scenarios of how low to the ground I want to work. It looks like for 8x10 negatives with the 240 lens, I am looking at about 24" off the ground, so that isn't great, but it isn't horrible. I can live with that.

In case anyone reads this thread trying to solve the same problem, here is what I found for the 30x40 prints.

Measurements:
    From bottom of vertical column to the print was 30 inches
    The scale on the enlarger column read 23"
    The upper bellows was fully extended (5")
    The lower bellows as nearly compressed at 1.25"

Now I will just play around with deciding on the mounting height on the wall which directly impacts my working height.

Next steps are to test my other film sizes with this setup for 5x7, 4x5, and 6x17.

After I have fully tested all my formats and understand the distances between the lens and the print, I plan to build an adjustable cabinet where I can move the base up and down as needed.

Once I get this completed, I will take some pics and share.

Tim

Good news!

Thanks for the details.

I appreciate the help Randy. I will send photos once I get it all built and installed.

Great glad to see someone actually try something and make it work rather than just write about it!!

Hi Luis, thanks.

Here are the next steps:

1 - Tomorrow, I am painting a full sheet of 3/4 plywood flat black and installing it on the wall where I will be wall mounting the enlarger column. I will secure the plywood with lag bolts and washers.
    2 - Install the enlarger vertical column on a custom-built shelf (2 pieces of 2x12 with 2 braces) at the established height to meet my enlargement requirements for 30x40 and 40x50. I got this idea from Randy Moe to get the column away from the wall far enough to allow the projected image to fall correctly.
    3 - Secure the top of the enlarger with a brace that I am fabricating to stabilize the enlarger and ensure it is perpendicular to the printing surface. I will be making sure the alignment is correct with a laser versa lab tool.
    4 - Build an adjustable base to allow me to print from 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, and 6x17 negatives.

I will keep everyone posted and once I get this done, I will make a video and post it.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Great glad to see someone actually try something and make it work rather than just write about it!!
    Everything I try works.

I have one
    I got a fuji 180 enlarging lens- it works but there is some illumination difference from center to edges [that I could handle with doging/burning]
    Never tried 30x40 and I have the 240 as well
    BUT
    I did some things when I had the darkroom built:
    Studs @ 12 rather than 16"
    Lagscrewed a pc of 2x4 across the studs- gyp board don't cut it
    Mounted the column on top of the 2x4
    Popup into the ceiling between the roof trusses that are 24" oc, with exhaust fan at the top of that
    Table between cabinets so that I can lower it for BIG print

Problems with which I have dealt
    Sufficient light- I built 'shimboxes' to go between the casting and the lighthead. Seemed to help but only a little
    I did mostly panoramics 8 or 10 by 40+ a little, so I pulled the column back toward the wall and re-leveled the head
    BUT
    Cropping pans means MORE distance, and the head has to be raised so far into the popup as to block access to the filter drawer
    Never thought to enlarge the popup outwards, then I got decrepit.
    Lack of access meant:
    Put in a filter pack, raise and focus , make a test strip, lower, adjust filter, repeat
    Seeing the focus on the 'baseboard [not the original of course] while reaching the focus knob. Yes I know there are solutions but I didn't- always behind on printing.

Other thoughts: Before LEDs got powerful, was to build an incandescent lighthead, an array of small bulbs that could be individually lit like the old contact printers.
    That might also have improved the yellow spectrum for VC
    ANd for folks who must calibrate the snot out of everything, I used green and magenta acetates meant to modify studio lights,
    and achieved increments of 1/4 something. Used Lots of green to get long scale prints, and the magenta is easier to see thru than blue, but I use a minimum blue infrequently.

As to Clyde Butcher. He studied architecture. He perfected presentations by building models and placing photographic cutouts of people.
    The final large prints - no photoshop then, it had to be on the negative-were so evocative of the proposed spaces and convincing that he set up business in
    San Francisco to provide services to architects etc who appreciated the power of his work.
    Alaas, a 70s recession killed it, he went to the forests and the rest is history
    Who'da thought a boy that grew up on the edge of the desert would find his metier in the swamp

Maybe some of this will help

I got the 8x10 enlarger wall mounted and I am now operational. Thanks to everyone here for the help and information.

Here is the video on my website at http://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blog...ine-art-prints

Tim

Very nicely done.

Your son needs safety googles.

I damaged my eyes when much younger than he is.

Just asking: have you tried the 210mm Rodagon?