Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beseler 45V-XL with 8x10 Conversion Max Print Size Question

Beseler 45V-XL with 8x10 Conversion Max Print Size Question

Hi, I am working on my Beseler 45V-XL enlarger with the 8x10 cold light kit to try and get at least a 30x40 print out of it without borders.

Using a 240mm APO-HD lens with the 8x10 cold light head fully extended, I am currently making 24"x36" prints.

The problem of getting to 30x40 with the current configuration is that the image toward the column side actually extends beyond the column making that part of the image unusable and therefore making the max print size 24x36 or smaller if I want to stay with the 8x10 aspect ratio.

Before I detach the center column off the baseboard and figure out a way to stabilize that (wall mount kit #8562) to see if I can get a full 30x40 without the projected image bleeding past the center column, does anyone have experience with this enlarger to know if this is a feasible approach to get to 30x40 or bigger?

I know based on the math that I need 59" between the negative carrier and the paper with a 240mm lens to get to 30x40 and 69" to get to 40x50.

I am unclear if the Beseler wall mount kit #8562 will be all that is needed if I go down the path of removing the column from the baseboard and if this kit has anything to do with a horizontal mounting solution. Can anyone confirm based on experience?

Thoughts/tips/help are much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Beseler 45V-XL with 8x10 Conversion Max Print Size Question

Seems like the only way to get the head high enough for your needs. Since you know you need 59" or 69" for those two size enlargements, you pretty much know how high you need to set up the column. You only have to figure out how to mount it and how to stabilize it. Guide wires, brackets, etc. One of the reasons why DeVere and Durst made real floor standing enlargers, not a conversion of an enlarger designed for 4x5.

Hi Luis, thanks for the reply. My question really is about someone knowing if the projected image in the vertical position will be correct and not go deeper beyond the column. My fear is that I will do al the work to get this tested only to find out that I can only print at this size via horizontal projection, which I have no means of doing at this time.

Anyone that has experience with this enlarger printing vertically at 30x40 or bigger, your input is much appreciated.

Tim

As I have one, I may be installing the same combo. When it was removed from a Pro's installation it was primarily supported on a low wall beam, more or less balanced on that first, then aligned and lag screwed at top and bottom. Very simple.

The separate base table is tuneable and adjustable. With this sort of setup, the baseboard table can extend under the beam under and towards the wall giving the 22 inches lens center to inner limit you need for 40X50.

This becomes more adjustable than any full scale 10X10 enlarger that I know unless you have a tilting or native horizontal enlarger.

What was Mr. Butcher using? Custom Saltzman?

It can be done. The prints this Pro made are excellent.

Hi Randy, this is encouraging. Thanks for the message.

I think I can fabricate something to make this work even if standard Beseler parts are not available any longer. It sounds like the real trick is to get the vertical column detached from the stock baseboard and away from the wall far enough so the adjustable height base will allow for the 40x50 print size and get it stabilized.

Do you have any insight if the Beseler wall mount kit #8562 could be part of the solution?

Thanks

Tim

If you can get that kit for free, yes use it, but it's not worth $300.

The installation I write of did not use it.

I just looked at mine and the best mod the original owner did was bolt a piece of 3/4" plywood to the rail bottom first, then fastened that to the wood beam. Shims, levels and a second person will do it.

He did use a Versalab to set up the many variables. But he said after it was set, it worked for years. I think he primarily made one size 100's of times. His prints sold well. Why change?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layton View Post
    Hi Randy, this is encouraging. Thanks for the message.

I think I can fabricate something to make this work even if standard Beseler parts are not available any longer. It sounds like the real trick is to get the vertical column detached from the stock baseboard and away from the wall far enough so the adjustable height base will allow for the 40x50 print size and get it stabilized.

Do you have any insight if the Beseler wall mount kit #8562 could be part of the solution?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Randy, I just walked down to my darkroom and did a little testing.

Just so we are clean, I have the 45V-XL with the 810 cold light head and the 240mm APO-HD lens.

Here is what I found out.

1 - With the 810 cold light head fully extended up and the upper bellows fully extended, I am able to project an in-focus image the extends past the vertical column on the baseboard.

2 - I discovered that at about 8 inches from the base, the projected image was hitting the column.

So, here is my question. How will removing and lowering the base have any impact on the projected image hitting the column? Hopefully I am just missing something or not fully understanding. Enlighten me...

Tim

You may need to mount it temporarily and then check to see if it hits the column. I had my Zone VI mounted on a short shelf above the baseboard with guide wires as shown below. Hope you're able to make it work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment-2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	180112
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 4-Jul-2018 at 18:51.

Tim as you have discovered it’s all about the angles. Lower the head and raise the rail. Of course you need enough ceiling height.

Where do you call home? I am near St Louis.

Even my massive 10x10 Fotar had a baseboard of only 32x40. 40x50 requires custom mods.

Hi Randy, I am from St. Louis. I have lots of family there still and visit on a regular basis.

I built a cabin and big darkroom in the Ozark's, so still only a few hours from you probably. I can build just about anything, so customizing is a non issue. I think I have enough info to make something work. I am going to get started on some testing with all of this tomorrow and then build a properly rigid and stabilized solution once I know my angles and projections are right. You are welcome to come visit anytime you like. I have tons of places that I can take you for large format around the area.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Tim as you have discovered it’s all about the angles. Lower the head and raise the rail. Of course you need enough ceiling height.

Where do you call home? I am near St Louis.

Even my massive 10x10 Fotar had a baseboard of only 32x40. 40x50 requires custom mods.