Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP! All my negs are empty!

Re: NEED HELP! All my negs are empty!

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Sounds like a strobe sync problem. As Mark notes above.
    I thought I had tested the flash sync on "M" first and then "X", but when I went back to the camera it was still set on "M". Another test with the sync set to "X" and I now have a properly exposed image! Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments, it is great to have fellow film lovers to double check my work!

Edit: I found the culprit! The way I was holding my shutter release cable was flipping the sync switch to "M". Flipping the lens around fixed it!
    Last edited by jpheneger; 3-Jul-2018 at 22:57.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5_skull_web.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	180100
    As a thank you for taking the time to comment on my post, here is what I was able to create with your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I've seen correctly-exposed film processed with the developer/fixer order reversed, and there's still a faint, unusable-but-visible image.
    That would indicate that either the 'development' time would have been shorter than the required fixing time, or the fixer being exhausted - on top of the reversal of the chemicals. With properly mixed and reasonably fresh fixer, switching the fixer and developer bottles would result in a completely clear piece of film with no image at all.

Glad to see things finally worked out for you. I'll bet you're the first one to suggest checking the synch setting next time someone has the same problem.

X sync is for electronic flash, no delay as the shutter blades are opening.

M sync is for flash bulbs where a delay in shutter blades opening is needed to allow the flash bulb to burn up to full intensity. On some Ilex shutters, there are three delay time settings. Setting used depends on the type of flash bulb being used with that specific Ilex shutter.

M sync with electronic flash will produce non-exposed film due to shutter blade opening relative to when the flash contacts connect.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jpheneger View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5_skull_web.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	180100
    As a thank you for taking the time to comment on my post, here is what I was able to create with your help.
    Maybe your camera/system is still not working, if you were trying to take a baby's portrait, and this image came up...

Then the problem is your camera is evil, and should be burned in a ritual fire with many blessings and a purification ceremony... Or not if you are interested in your new results... :-)

Steve K

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

BTW, is the shutter sync set to X for electronic strobe? If it's set to M, (for flash bulbs), that may be the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheneger View Post
    I thought I had tested the flash sync on "M" first and then "X", but when I went back to the camera it was still set on "M". Another test with the sync set to "X" and I now have a properly exposed image!
    I'm always right, and I never lie...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I've seen correctly-exposed film processed with the developer/fixer order reversed, and there's still a faint, unusable-but-visible image.
    Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    That would indicate that either the 'development' time would have been shorter than the required fixing time, or the fixer being exhausted - on top of the reversal of the chemicals. With properly mixed and reasonably fresh fixer, switching the fixer and developer bottles would result in a completely clear piece of film with no image at all.
    Logic and chemistry dictate you're right, but now it has my curiosity up. Since we develop the "latent image", could it be the latent image actually is a faint image on its own, barely visible after fixing with no development at all?

Mind you, I'm not curious enough to waste a piece of film trying it...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I'm always right, and I never lie...
    ...and ever so humble.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    ...and ever so humble.
    Hey, I'm the humblest person ever! Ain't no one as humble as me!