Thread: The GUTS of film holders: A new video deconstructing a 4x5 holder

The GUTS of film holders: A new video deconstructing a 4x5 holder

I just posted a new video from my darkroom deconstruction of 4x5 film holders. I had a couple that were too far gone to fix and thought they would make a good tutorial.
    If you always wanted to know the twiddly bits of a modern 4x5 (5x7, 8x10) Fidelity or Lisco film holder, then take a look. It shows how careful we need to be with dust on our darkslides... once dust and grit is dragged into a holder light trap from the bottom, it's probably not coming out.

https://vimeo.com/user21532443/4x5filmholder

Then I filmed myself "fingerprinting" my 4x5 holders. I have a lot of holders for HABS/HAER work and when something like a light leak, or errant thread go haywire in a holder, "fingerprinting" lets me track down the holder to the exact side I need to inspect. I make tiny imperceptible nicks/dents in the hinge-edge of my film holders that can be seen on the edge of the film with a 10X loupe if needed. This is an evolution of the deep "code notches" marks I made in a few of my film holders at Brooks Institute when I was starting out. I'm now not a fan of these big notches; for code notches to be useful I'd need to come up with a code system for 200+ holders, no thanks. Besides, I now value the perfectly clean edge of my film rebate area (every HABS/HAER photo is delivered to the Library of Congress with the film edges visible in each contact print and scan.)

https://vimeo.com/user21532443/finge...ng-4x5-holders

-Schaf
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Re: The GUTS of film holders: A new video deconstructing a 4x5 holder

Yes, I know my darkslides are "Backwards."

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    Yes, I know my darkslides are "Backwards."
    Mine are too "If it's white, it's seen the light."

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Mine are too "If it's white, it's seen the light."
    I'm totally stealing that quote.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Fingerprinting - a brilliant idea! Thank you!

I looked at both videos and they are interesting, I do like to know how things work inside. But it leaves me with a question concerning the "fingerprinting".

My problem is that I often have some time elapsing between taking the photo and developing. And as right now I'm almost always taking several photos of the same subject but with different parameters (bit more or less exposure, filter, other film...) to learn and find what results I prefer this often means I end up with 3 times almost identical negatives in the same JOBO tank. At that moment it is impossible for me to say which one corresponds with what test.

So I tried marking my holders with the "regular" notches but gave up after 3 holders because I feared for the hinges. This micronotch fingerprint system looks great to me (also lots less dust) but if you have a lot of holders like in the video then how do you find it back? Seriously, if you have 100 holders, all marked randomly with marks you can barely see how do you find back that single one with an issue if you do not have a system in your notching?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

May I suggest using a binary system? Two small files, one triangular in cross section (such as a saw file) and one round (rat tail) used to make up to eight tiny, closely spaced notches, will allow for up to 256 holder IDs. Writing the corresponding number (in binary if you like, but I'd use decimal :-) ) on the holder makes it quick and easy to find the correct holder.

For those who, like me, only have, say, 15 or so holders, 4 notches will do. And of course, you don't have to put in the leading zeros, so to speak. So holder one would have only one notch. You just have to decide which file shape is 0 and which is 1.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    "If it's white, it's seen the light."
    It seems I agree with Doremus, as usual.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Yeah, that's a great saying, Doremus.

Black is the absorption of all colors and white is the reflection of all colors so I just figured black was ready to absorb light and white was ready to reflect light. I like Doremus' saying better though. Short and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    ... if you have 100 holders, all marked randomly with marks you can barely see how do you find back that single one with an issue if you do not have a system in your notching?
    Copious notes. As you can see Each film holder is numbered. Each exposure noted. Often four almost identical exposures. Then when the film sits on the light table after developing, if i have a anomaly or error, i can check the fingerprint to the four exposures in question.
    Last edited by schafphoto; 2-Jul-2018 at 17:26. Reason: Typo
    `