Thread: Problems with Howtek d4000, please help!

Problems with Howtek d4000, please help!

Hi,

I am working with a Howtek d4000, silverfast, on os 10 with a firewire adapter. I have been working with this scanner for a few years now. Sometimes I get clean, great scans, but lately I have been getting horizontal lines (parallel to the spin of the drum) across the image. They are not consistent- each scan give slightly different lines. There seems to be a correlation between lower resolution scans and more lines, i.e., the pre-scan or test scans at 100 dpi are filled with lines. As I go up in resolution, the lines get less. I am attaching images so you can see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43_color_b.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	179801

Name:	43_color_test_1000dpi.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	179798

Name:	43_color_test_2000dpi.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	179799

Also, on the pre-scan this morning there seems to be a bright spot in the upper right hand 1/4 of the scan area, like too much light shining on it- I have no idea what this is or if it is affecting the scans. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	179797

I normally scan 8x10 negatives at 2000 dpi (the computer cannot save images larger than that) and they all seem to have pronounced lines, but last week I scanned a set of B&W 4x5s at 4000 dpi and got perfect scans- no lines at all. I have lubed the lead screw and changed the rubber belt recently- with no real change in lines.

I wonder whether the drum is slipping somehow? Or, if there is a calibration issue?

Any help or ideas would be awesome- I cannot figure out what, exactly, is wrong.

Thanks,

Noah

Re: Problems with Howtek d4000, please help!

Ask Evan at Aztek. He's the expert on that scanner. Offer him your illustrations of the artifact(s). If anyone knows the answer to this, it's Evan. If anyone can fix the hardware, it's Evan. While you're at it, ask him what kind of a deal he'll make you on the Aztek scanner software (I can't remember the name of it). If you want the most out of that scanner, you need the Aztek scanner software. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

I don't have this scanner but this type of behavior on drum scanners is typically due to a bad bulb. Have you replaced it with a new one and see if the problem still exists?

Pali

That is a good idea, I will give it a shot and report back- thanks

Bruce is probably right. This could also be the result of very bad voltage regulation.

Lenny Eiger
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Thanks for all your input, is a voltage regulator something I could change on the scanner or with a different power strip?

Also, I ordered new bulbs and should have them in a few days. I'll report back soon.

Thanks,

Noah

Noah,

I had a similar problem with banding on my 4500. The bulbs are on trays held in place with two black pressure fit pins. In my case, they weren't pushed in all the way and that was causing the bulb to flicker (assuming from vibration). After re-seating these pins, it's completely gone. You should take a look, it might be as simple as this.

Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by mcfactor View Post
    Thanks for all your input, is a voltage regulator something I could change on the scanner or with a different power strip?

Also, I ordered new bulbs and should have them in a few days. I'll report back soon.

Thanks,

Noah

I think I see what you are talking about, but they seem firmly in place. I did swap out the bulbs as well, but all that did was give me more f702 errors....I think my next step is to take it apart and reseat and clean as much as I can. Unless anyone else has any ideas- I am very open. thanks, Noah