Thread: Electrical Problems w/Beseler 45 MCRX

Electrical Problems w/Beseler 45 MCRX

I recently acquired a Besler 45 MCRX. Yesterday I hooked it up and was hoping to do some printing with it when discovered the lamp would not turn on. The motor will work to raise and lower the carriage however when the unit is plugged into my darkroom timer nothing happens when I hit the focus button. It works for my Besler 23C so I know the problem isn't with the darkroom timer. When I plug the light source directly into the wall the light works. Seems to me the problems is in the housing box which is designed to have the light source plug into. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions? Here's a pic of the set up. Thanks

/Users/mjwellman/Desktop/Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 6.45.43 AM.png

Re: Electrical Problems w/Besler 45 MCRX

2 suggestions

You could plug the lamp directly into your timer and plug the motor drive into a separate circuit both are 120 VAC.

Or you could read the manual here. http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...eler_45mxt.pdf

I had not used that enlarger for years. Perhaps you are missing the on-off switch that dangles from the bottom AC circuit and uses a push-pull switch, It's in the manual pictures.

A jumper could be tried also same place/

Your pic link does not work.

Only the early version(s) of the Beseler 45 had that switch. I don't believe the OP's MCRX does.

Any number of (probably) minor possibilities to trace with an ohmmeter. Personally, I'd be a bit leery of using it until you know the cause as it may be a loose wire that could short to the housing. At least make sure it's on a gfci - which it should anyway.

And don't discount the possibility that the prior owner intentionally altered that circuit for some reason known only to him/her.

I am the previous owner. There is nothing wrong electrically.

It does need the #10 switch or jumper IF and only IF you want to use one power connection.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Only the early version(s) of the Beseler 45 had that switch. I don't believe the OP's MCRX does.

Any number of (probably) minor possibilities to trace with an ohmmeter. Personally, I'd be a bit leery of using it until you know the cause as it may be a loose wire that could short to the housing. At least make sure it's on a gfci - which it should anyway.

And don't discount the possibility that the prior owner intentionally altered that circuit for some reason known only to him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I am the previous owner. There is nothing wrong electrically.

It does need the #10 switch or jumper IF and only IF you want to use one power connection.
    Then it's a good thing I didn't use the term - common in old car circles - "damn prior owner".

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Then it's a good thing I didn't use the term - common in old car circles - "damn prior owner".
    LOL

I am very familiar with old cars. old people and all things decrepit.

As it takes one to know one.

I no longer restore old cars. Old motorcycles take up less room and have less sheet metal to rust.

My 100-year-old shack of a home has many mysteries, like who will win the age contest. The house or I.

Timing is paramount.

The enlarger is in fantastic shape. With the exception a few dings on the baseboard it looks brand new. It also works well with the one noted exception. Yesterday I bypassed the box on the column and plugged the cord directly into the darkroom timer and it worked well. I'm not an electrician and have no desire to pull that box apart to see where the problem is. I've got a working enlarger now and life is good. thanks for the suggestions and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    The enlarger is in fantastic shape. With the exception a few dings on the baseboard it looks brand new. It also works well with the one noted exception. Yesterday I bypassed the box on the column and plugged the cord directly into the darkroom timer and it worked well. I'm not an electrician and have no desire to pull that box apart to see where the problem is. I've got a working enlarger now and life is good. thanks for the suggestions and help.
    Since you are in Austin why not just drive over to Precision and ask them?