Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick tripod for 8x10 plaubel

Help me pick tripod for 8x10 plaubel

hey guys, i am picking tripod for my new plaubel 8x10 camera.
    I am more or less going to buy berlebach tripod, however i am not sure if i should get the leveling column version. Has anyone used the leveling column and sees it as a really good thing to have? I am going for the 1_2S or 2_2s version with geared column and extra long (90cm). could i eliminate regular head by using the leveling column with the panorama plate? has anyone done it this way?
    As for head i have one i want to buy manfrotto 468MGRC4 / i have good offer on that one/ i know 3 way head would be better but i dont have cash right now for manfrotto 405 geared head which i would like to buy in future.
    If anyone can give me any other tips on what tripod/head for 8x10 monorail that would be under 3kg i would be grateful.
    thanks

Re: Help me pick tripod for 8x10 plaubel

Find a sturdy Gitzo aluminium tripod on Fleabay, but not too heavy and a Majestic geared head to go with it. I have used this combo with an 8x10 and quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ViktorK View Post
    hey guys, i am picking tripod for my new plaubel 8x10 camera.
    I am more or less going to buy berlebach tripod, however i am not sure if i should get the leveling column version. Has anyone used the leveling column and sees it as a really good thing to have? I am going for the 1_2S or 2_2s version with geared column and extra long (90cm). could i eliminate regular head by using the leveling column with the panorama plate? has anyone done it this way?
    As for head i have one i want to buy manfrotto 468MGRC4 / i have good offer on that one/ i know 3 way head would be better but i dont have cash right now for manfrotto 405 geared head which i would like to buy in future.
    If anyone can give me any other tips on what tripod/head for 8x10 monorail that would be under 3kg i would be grateful.
    thanks
    Which Berlebach? A Report or a Uni? The latter will support anything!

report uni seems too heavy to take outdoors

report uni seems too heavy to take outdoors
    The current Report series have interchangeable center accessories so you can switch from leveling to non-leveling to geared to flat plate at any time. Similar to the Uni series. Are you looking at a new Report? How heavy is your camera? A 810 monorail is pushing it.

One good thing about a Berlebach, is that their open channel legs are good in sand and mud, even seawater because they are so easy to purge under a garden hose. Same for even inexpensive survey legs, which I also have. Regarding leveling devices, they are good unless at the top of an extended centre column. My prejudice. I do not trust center columns to be steady.

yes i am looking at the new report. My camera with 300mm sironar is 10kg. The one i am looking at are max load from 12-18kg so i hope that is enough for 10kg camera. Uni would be great - used it at studio but 7.5kg tripod to carry around is too much for me right now.
    I was thinking about this https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english with geared column (90cm 40cm longer than the usual) which i found really handy with the UNI tripod at studio. or this one https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english with geared and longer column.
    The main question for me is if use of leveling column + panorama plate would be alternative to tripod head. As i am not sure if i trust the ball head at the top of the tripod.

yes i am looking at the new report. My camera with 300mm sironar is 10kg. The one i am looking at are max load from 12-18kg so i hope that is enough for 10kg camera. Uni would be great - used it at studio but 7.5kg tripod to carry around is too much for me right now.
    I was thinking about this https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english with geared column (90cm 40cm longer than the usual) which i found really handy with the UNI tripod at studio. or this one https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english with geared and longer column.
    The main question for me is if use of leveling column + panorama plate would be alternative to tripod head. As i am not sure if i trust the ball head at the top of the tripod.
    I will drop out of this thread only after offering my two-bits, with respect. For reasons of stability I do not like centre columns, nor geared heads or rises, and certainly not ball heads. Frankly, my imagination cannot find a rationale for any of them for LF. Sorry about that. I post this to encourage alternate opinions. I'm not stuck yet!

Yes, that should work. But your camera’s weight is not including the weight of your lens, any lens or camera accessories, like filters and hoods or compendiums and film holder plus you have to consider vibration dampening as you handle and insert holders, adjusting movements, adjusting the lens, etc.. I think that the Report would just minimally properly handle your camera!

10 kg is with lens, however yes it is without any other stuff like filmholders and so on. Thanks, i will give it a moment to think about but these berlebachs seem to be better option than regular carbon fiber tripods / they should have better vibration dampening and offer geared column