Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about the Durst Laborator G184

questions about the Durst Laborator G184

Hi everyone,
    Sorry that I haven't been on here in a long time. My job kept me too busy to enjoy life.

That is now changing and I have just purchased a Durst Laborator G184
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed(3).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	179335
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	179336
    Now I have to take the 12 hour drive to pick it up.

That is where I have a few questions.
    I own an Audi wagon with a roof rack.
    I know that it isn't big enough to fit the enlarger inside, however I am wondering if I could just remove the base, table ( baseboard ) and the lamp housing. Then strap the column on the roof rack.
    My other option is borrow my mom's Subaru Forester, which has a trailer hitch and rent a trailer.

My next question is regarding it saying that it's a color universal camera.
    Should I take that with a grain of salt, and just consider it as a standard B&W enlarger, or does it actually contain built in color filters like some newer enlarger have?

As you may have figured out I just bought it site unseen. So there is a good chance that I will have more questions about it soon.

Re: questions about the Durst Laborator G184

Regarding the color question, no, there are no built-in filters.
    It uses gel filters fot color correction, or for contrast control in b&w printing.
    This is good, because it's a relatively simple light source.
    No complex electronics.
    Be careful with the bulb, they are rare, and pricey, there are modern, substitutes, but with less output.
    I moved one, in a Suburban with room to spare.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

You'll need allen wrenches for many of the fasteners.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I believe the "Color" designation is that is has a filter drawer for "color" filters. I think you should be able to get it in your Audi wagon with the rear seats down. I have mine taken apart in storage, so will measure the base and column when I get home tonight. I moved my Devere 5108 in a Honda Odessey without issues. The head comes apart, as does the baseboard, the column breaks away from the base, so it should fit thought it may be tight. Bring lots of wrenches including both allen, box and screwdrivers and lots of padding blankets. I don't believe you'll need a trailer. The baseboard, if original is very well made with two strips underneath to screw it onto the support. The original Durst Bulbs are hard (imposible) to find, thought I do have three of the 300 watt bulbs. You can use G40 bulbs rated at 150 watts, and you should be able to find 500 watt GE Enlarger bulbs on this forum. The GE bulbs are a smaller envelope, so you may need to put a diffuser in the filter holder. Don't forget to use ventilation with the bulbs. Good luck.

Essential to have the correct bulbs, get any spares that might be in the area.
    Also, there might be a rack containing all the condensers. You would like to have all of those.
    Really search around that area for anything the looks like it might go with the enlarger.

Hard to obtain items for that enlarger:
    Condensers
    Opal Lamp
    Negative Carrier
    Counterbalance Spring
    Gear that raises an lowers the head

Easier to get:
    Replacement bellows made to order
    Lensboards
    Enlarging lens
    Printing filters (color or b&w)
    Timer
    Fresh AC cords

IC, from the photos it looks to have a crank, hopefully, the gear on it works. Make sure you don't have the head locked when you try to raise/lower it with the crank and strip the plastic gear. You can take the crank out (held in place by one bolt) to check the condition of the gear and to make sure it's greased. Like IC said, you want to make sure you have the condensers and negative carrier. Should have one glass carrier, and may have metal inserts for smaller formats. That's how it is in the 5x7, not sure about the 10x10. If they have any extra bulbs consider yourself lucky. Check to see if it has one installed and remove it before moving to prevent breakage. In addition to a blower, I use a dimmer to decrease the bulb output and extend bulb life. L

Thank you for all the info,
    She has packed all the condensers up. I am also buying her at least some of her 8x10 equipment so I will have a car full no matter what.

I figured that the bulb was rare, and it sounds like she has a spare or 2.
    However I am glad that you all brought it up since I will be close to the classic camera shop in Edmonton, assuming that he is still open.
    I should pop in there and see if he has any spares.

The base is 29" x 25" wide by 43" high. The top column is 54". The base should fit sideways, and the column should fit alongside of it. I know I could get it in my Jetta Sportswagon, so as long as the Audi has more than 54" with the seats down, it should fit. Let us now how it goes and post some photos once you have it set up. L

Thank you Luis,
    That is exactly what I needed.

My audi is the same chassis as a passat. So it should fit nicely.

I just paid for the 8x10 camera gear, so it will be an additional 8 large boxes.
    I am proud to say that I am good at Tetris, so it should all fit.
    If not I have 2 backup plans.

Post some pictures, threads like this frequently generate a lot of interest. In the large format community, the Durst enlargers are popular. I suspect most questions you might have setting it up could be answered here.