Thread: Ilford Multigrade 500 on Durst laborator 1000/CLS450

Electron and ion microscopist

Ilford Multigrade 500 on Durst laborator 1000/CLS450

I found a Ilford Multigrade 500 system (C, H, S and P) for just below $280 (2450 SEK), which seemed like a bargain. It is suppose to be in "better shape than normally expected", so I ordered it right away as I was afraid someone else would beat me to it. Now I need some advise as I'm not very familiar with this system.

It has not arrived yet, but will come without a 4x5 mixing box. Original Durst 4x5 mixing boxes seems hard to find, so what alternatives do I have? Anyone know of a person or company that make such spare parts? Or, perhaps, can I have a 4x5 mixing box made at a local workshop if I can get hold of a drawing?

I currently have a Durst laborator 1000 with a CLS 450 head. After removing the CLS 450 head, does anyone know what needs to be done in order to fit the 500H onto the Lab 1000? (I really hope the answer to this question isn't: get a "adaptor kit" and/or a Lab 1200.)

Thanks

Re: Ilford Multigrade 500 on Durst laborator 1000/CLS450

That is a great deal if everything works.

I made an adapter out of 1/4 inch plywood for my beseler 4x5 using very simple handtools and a drill. There are 4 holes in the bottom of the head where you can attach the adapter with a thin bolt and nut. The beseler top was 8x8" but the 500 head is 6x12 so I made a large plus sign + shape. I also had to find a ring to drop down into the bellows since beseler has posts that sit above the upper bellows, and if you do that you can put a condenser in the ring if needed (beseler boxes nearly touch the negative). I do see the 4x5 mixing boxes come up from time to time but rarely. They are little more than a metal rectangular box with two windows on the side about the size of a 135mm frame. The inside is lined with a silver tape near the bottom and has a frosted glass bottom.

If your controller doesn't work you can buy a NEW RH Designs Analyzer Pro from secondhanddarkroom, but I think the ilford controllers are easier to use.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

There is an adaptor to use the MG500 on the L1000......but i have yet to see one let alone see one for sale !!

I ended up making my own adapter, but the timely arrival of an L1200 with another MG500 meant that i didn't need the L1000 version.

The MG500 head has an opening in the bottom to take the adapter plates and mixing boxes of various sizes. The 5x4 box does not need an adapter as it fills the hole by itself. It's not beyond the wit of man to make your own 5x4 mixing box. There are dimensions on the web......including this forum, so have a search for MG500 mixing box.

If you need pictures/dimensions, let me know.

Mike

Thanks Eric,

Could you clarify what you mean with making a large plus sign shape? Do I understand you correct that this is the adapter between the 8x8" Beseler and 6x12" Ilford?

Thanks mpirie

I'll start working on it as soon it arrives, and if I don't find the dimensions know you have them (I have tried to search this site but I guess I didn't look thorough enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Lenrick View Post
    Thanks Eric,

Could you clarify what you mean with making a large plus sign shape? Do I understand you correct that this is the adapter between the 8x8" Beseler and 6x12" Ilford?
    something like this for my adapter. I bolted it to the MG500H and it sits on top of the beseler bellows. Not to scale and the opening in the middle is about 5x6 rather than 4x5.
    I also had to add a 7" ring below the adapter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adapter.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	797 Bytes 
ID:	179556
    Last edited by esearing; 19-Jun-2018 at 15:30. Reason: more info
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography